Chapter 13: Chain of bond

Alastor's POV

I found myself in the Abyss again. This place was still the same as ever, constantly veiled under a black mist. In front of me sat a human female on the ground. She had long black hair covering her face. The most peculiar aspect of hers was what she wore. Chains, lot of chains as if she was a prisoner. Her hands and legs were shackled. Her arms covered by chains. Even her body did not have a single shred of cloth but only chains, enough to conceal her private parts. A black tattoo trailed from her legs to her face.

"So you finally found one." said the woman.

"Alice has one too you know. But yes I admit that I did not expect to find one so soon." I said.

"Alice is your sister. I don't count her as the first. But as for this woman, you barely talked to her. And she was an enemy." she continued.

"I will manage it. No need to worry about me, Beatrix!"

"The chain works in both ways Alastor. It will affect both her and you. Just like our pact, there is a price for everything. There is a reason why demon lords don't want to give their power so easily."

"I already knew about that. You don't have to remind me of that. Let's just get on with this."

"I hope you know what you are doing!"

Beatrix stood up and took out a chain from her body.

"Are you ready?" she asked me, holding the chain with her arm.

"Will it hurt?" I said.

"I will try to make it as painful as possible."

"What!!"

Without warning, the chain lashed out at me and pierced my heart. It hurt much more than I thought it would.

Meanwhile in the real world, Ikarus has prepared herself and sat next to my sleeping body. As I opened my eyes, from my chest, opened up a black whole. The chain flew out and plunged into her heart, opening up a white hole. Something was beating inside. Was this Ikarus' heart?

The chain ensnared her beating heart. I could feel her pain, passing through the chain to my own. So the link was established.

It was finally over. The chain disappeared, together with the holes on our chest.

"What....was that?" Ikarus asked me, trying to catch her breath.

"The <Chain of bond>. It allows me to give you a portion of my power as long as you have that ring on you." I explained to her with my hand still clenching my chest. Even though the pain has passed, it still hurt a bit.

Ikarus did not realise that a silver ring has manifested itself on one of her finger. A gleaming gem as blue as the sky was embedded on the ring.

"What a beautiful ring! So does it work?" Ikarus looked at the ring with excitement.

"Focus your mana into it! As for its power, even I don't know. It depends on you and what you want. For now just think about your wings!" I advised.

Ikarus closed her eyes, trying to focus. The rings started to glow as Ikarus was enveloped by a blue light. The next moment, when the light dimmed a little, I could see it. Her back no longer had the broken wings. Instead a grand pair of translucent wings extended from Ikarus. Even her scars were fully healed.

"Magnificent!" I blurted at the sight.

As for Ikarus, she simply looked at her new wings, silently. Did she not like it perhaps?