Chapter 61: A strange new world

Location: ??? Time: ???

Inside an underground facility, a person was sitting in front of a series of flashing glass screens. Even though nothing was behind this wall nor it was magic, the screens showed many different things. Some were sceneries of what seemed to be a futuristic city with people in strange clothing, metallic machines that could move by themselves without any horse and there were people inside them. Other screens showed undulating graphs which went up and down without really knowing what it was. Even the room itself contained bizarre items. On the table was a small rectangular object which somehow was able to produce a song. The image of an apple being half bitten was on the back of this object. Furthermore, in front of these glass screens was a black gadget adorned with many small buttons, each either had a letter or some kind of symbol. There was even a very long button with nothing imprinted on it in the bottom of this gadget. What could this long space button do?

The only door of this room opened and a person, holding two transparent elastic cups containing a brownish liquid, entered.

"Apologies for making you waiting, sir! I didn't expect the queue to be that long." The woman who just entered handed over one of the cups to the man sitting on the chair.

"It's alright. At this time of the day, everyone just rushes into Starbucks like bees.....wait a minute....this is a frappuccino caramel coffee! I thought I asked you for an iced latte?" the man said angrily. Having short white hair, the hair on the sides and back was tapered down to the hairline. The hair on top was clipped from the vertex toward the front. A large scar trailed down from his forehead across his left eye down to his chin. This injury seemed to have left the man blind on one side with his pupil fully discolored. Wearing a grey uniform, the man gave off the air of a military veteran who has seen more deaths than he could count. And indeed, he did.

"But it's practically the same thing. It's cold coffee." The woman said.

"IT'S NOT THE SAME!!!"

"Hiiiiii, do you want me to go buy another one?" the woman shrieked.

"...No need! It's already time for your shift!" he grunted.

"But it has been calm for weeks now. Nothing will happen just because I am not here for fifteen minutes." She persisted.

"You idiot! The security of our city, even the world, relies on our hands. Just because you are a rookie doesn't mean that you are allowed to make such a basic mistake. We never know what will happen...."

"WARNING WARNING! Anomaly detected in district E! Target's power: 5000 units! Danger Level: S! Requesting intervention immediately! WARNING WARNING!" a mechanical voice spoke with the sound of siren perpetuating in the background, accompanied with a red beacon rotating on the wall.

Immediately, the man pressed on a red button on the desk and spoke to a black object.

"This is admiral Kennedy from sector 2. We have detected an anomaly in district E. Requesting sentries and special agents to go on site! The threat level is S. Please advise caution! I repeat: the threat level is S. Emergency evacuation of the population in the affected area is to be done as soon as possible!"

"An S level danger? How? We haven't got one at that kind of level for years!" the woman uttered in disbelief.

After giving the announcement to the machine, the man turned to the dismayed woman. "Agent Fiora, you stay here! In case of any further anomalies or change, report back to me!" he took his long coat and headed to the door.