Chapter 105: Fall from grace

What would you do when you woke up one morning, only to find out that your whole world has been shattered? How would you react to that discovery? Perhaps saying the whole world was an overstatement but to our young demon lord, Morrigan's death was no short than the destruction of the world he knew.

The news of the assassination of the Valhalla Empress has spread across all around the world. As the people gathered outside the palace to offer their prayers in tears for their loving leader, a question still remained in everyone's mind: who killed the Empress?

The top officials of Valhalla, including the royal knight Catrina and minister Sinclair, as well the twin priestesses and the Duchess of Ragna Martel, have joined together to investigate this horrific crime. Needless to say, the prince was supposed to be included as a member. However, because of his unstable emotion state after learning of the dreadful news, it was decided that his participation was unadvised.

Within the first few hours of the investigation, it was concluded that the security was too lax on that night, allowing the perpetrator to infiltrate the palace so easily without being spotted. Further inquiries showed that the guards have been pulled out after the request of a certain person asking for more guards despite knowing that it would mean fewer guards inside the palace itself. This person has been detained immediately and their identity has been covered up quickly for a specific reason.

But that was not the main concern as it was what they found next that troubled everyone. The corpses of multiples men in cloak have been found at the scene; all seemed to be killed by the late Empress herself. Signs of struggles and the result of an intense fight could be easily observed in her chamber. In addition, wounds found on the Empress' body matched the weapons left behind by these strangers, strengthening further that these men were indeed the assassins who have infiltrated the palace.

At the end of the day, everyone agreed that while Empress Morrigan has fought bravely against the intruders, she eventually succumbed to her wounds and was killed by the remaining assassins. The investigation remained opened but no further inquiries were submitted as the theory seemed plausible.

Meanwhile as the entire world was in mourning over the death of the Empress, leaders from all countries have offered their condolences, appealed to the public and asked them to remain calm using words of peace and such. They also claimed that this was a vile attempt plotted by extremists in order to interfere with the peace talk and have confirmed that the convention would still stand unhindered. They shall not submit to violence nor would they tolerate this kind of atrocity in the world and would declare war against anyone who shared the same idea as these terrorists. Or so they said.

.....

At the moment, Martel has just returned from Eiseinheim to bring the summary of her report about the investigation back to Alastor. Walking through the stairs of the entrance, the lamia could be seen to be trembling, sweating in nervousness. And she was right to be scared, especially after she heard what Alastor did when he was informed about the news. One look at the demon lord's castle and you would know.

It was only now when she saw the giant hole on the castle wall, along with the barren land just outside that wall where a once beautiful forest lied, to truly understand the fearful expression her servant had when they informed her about Alastor's 'current state'. She knew that fear too well. For Martel has seen it, the beast laying dormant in that boy. Now, that beast has been awakened and it was not happy, not at all.

"I have returned, milord!" Martel spoke as she bent her head in front of the figure sitting on the throne of Ragna. Reluctant to look him in the eye because of the pressure coming from him, Martel took her chance and raised her head....She regretted it immediately.