Chapter 27: Birth of a new empire (part 2)

It has been several days since Kaiser decided to stay in this cave. At first he complained how it wasn't very worthy of being a king's palace but then he started to get used to it, most likely since he didn't want to let Syralth down. Then again it was not like the cave was a bad place to live in. It had a lot of space and only required some small adjustments to make it a nice lair.

"All right guys! Time to work!" Kaiser proclaimed at a group of knights in black armor.

Indeed those were the same knights Alastor used during his fight with Maria. But Kaiser didn't really steal them or anything of the sort. Rather he created them himself. Perhaps it was an ability passed down to Kaiser when he was created, who knew. Though to be fair, a king did need an army and this one would do just fine.

And the first job of this outstanding army was to refurbish this cave, making it into a fortress. While Syralth did say that the castle was his now, Kaiser made sure to ask the girl before redecorating her lair.

Every day the little draconian came to watch over the works and even participated in the works herself. When she wasn't doing that, she pestered her supposed new king for stories of the outside world. Being raised as a sheltered kid, the girl didn't know much about things outside her home in Oros, not to mention what was happening in Mara nor the tension between demons and the rest of the world. But Kaiser didn't tell her about such things.

He told her about wonders of the world, myths and legends he knew from Alastor's memories, the way old Gazel told bed story to young Alastor. Syra listened carefully to his every word, with occasionally some questions. There were even stories that Kaiser kind of made up by himself but being a sheltered child she was, the girl was gullible enough to believe everything he said.

"By the way Syra, are you serious when you say you want to be my subject?" Kaiser raised an interesting subject. The question has been in his mind for quite a while now. The fact that Syra was a draconian already valuable but then he thought maybe she was too young to join him. His path would surely be filled with dangers and such a little girl might not make it.

"Yes!!! It has been only a few days but you have already gathered an army and have a castle for yourself. And I really like it here. Lots of fun!" answered the girl cheerfully.

"Fun...there will be people coming after me and if you are my subject, they will come after you too. So I ask you again, Syralth, will you be my subject?" Kaiser stood up and switched to a more serious tone.

"Oh are we playing again? Yes!" so did Syra but her attitude suggested otherwise.

"Answer seriously please!"

"YES!"

"Very well! I, Kaiser, the True Monarch bequeath my mark upon thee. Starting from today you are one of us, a subject of Ragna. Swear that you will serve Father Alastor as his agent! Serve him as you will serve me, your one true King!"

"YEAH!"

"Not YEAH! Say that you will!" Kaiser corrected.

"You will!"

"No YOU will!" he pointed to Syra. "Actually it's fine. I give up!"

"So am I your subject now?"

"Yes yes you are." Kaiser gave a long sigh. He just couldn't keep up with her. "It's late now. Go home before your father finds out!"

"You're right. Bye bye mister Kaiser!" and there she was gone.

As much as he wanted to refuse it, Kaiser actually enjoyed the time with this small girl. It could be said that her presence kind of rubbed on him. 'So this is how having a child feels. Not that I envy it!' he thought.