Chapter 100: Down we go!

"Have you ever wondered how it would feel like if you are the first of your kind? That singularity, being the only one that was different...That loneliness, unable to be understood by everyone else...Are you even able to grasp those concepts? Let alone know how it would feel.

Maybe it was due to my inquisitive nature that pushed me to learn about the history of our world, giving me a reason to travel and discover the wonders of Astora. Yet, out of all I have seen, it was the history of perhaps the most enigmatic race and also the youngest of us all that has attracted my attention.

Legends told us of the demon kind who one day just appeared out of nowhere without anyone knowing how they first came to be. But instead of focusing on how they were created or how they became the demons we know today, I want to understand the feelings the first ones of their kinds had back at the first moment of their creation. What would it be like to know that you are not one of those who are meant to even exist all while being rejected by others?

It was the reason why I accepted the offer of my father to become the hero of my clan in order to destroy the demon lord. While I despise violence since my childhood, the blood inside gave me powers unattainable by others who spent their entire lives in training. Why did the Gods have to be so playful with their gifts? Why give power to someone who has no desire of it?

Alas, unknown to my father, it was just an excuse for me to go to the demon continent of Ragna. But not even in my wildest imagination I would expect to find the person who would be my closest friend of all. Though maybe calling him a person would not describe him correctly to some but to me, he was, in every definition of the word.

While our hero party was busy with the talks of peace and such, us two would chat about our lives. At first, he seemed a bit reluctant and unfriendly to talk about his past. Perhaps it was due to my reactions when I first saw him. A monster who could talk was not something you see every day after all. But as time passed by, we bonded until one day when he revealed to me the secret of his identity, which he has hidden away from many. And I could understand why he chose for it to be that way. After all, he was the first demon to ever walk in this world. It was merely on a whim that the Goddess of the Flesh chose him to be her first experiment in creating a new race. From it, he became a sentient monster. I wondered how he felt at that moment when he realized he was the only one of his kind. Although he has never told me, I could only imagine how frightening, how insecure it would feel to be all alone in this world, to be rejected by all. Even more, being the first demon has given him the purest and most powerful bloodline transmitted by the Goddess herself, granting him immortality.

It was why he was unfriendly to many before me, for he could not die and any friend he had would one day leave his side. In the end, he would find himself all alone again. He was aware of this fact. That was the reason why he isolated himself all these years until the demon lord Asgore changed him and recruited him as one of his closest retainers. In a way, it was thanks to Asgore that I could meet this peculiar individual that became my best friend.

I don't know what fate has in store for us. But please know that whatever happens, I will always be your friend, Primora!"

-'Diary of a Wanderer' by Arshe-

* * *

"The sceptre is on its way to Alastor. Although there have been a few minor troubles on the way, it is done."

"Troubles? What kind of trouble?"

"Nothing that needs your concern."

"We are almost at our goal. There can't be any distraction now. If something needs to be done then we must do it quickly."