Chapter 56: Miasma

Chapter 56: Miasma

A few hours after upon arriving at the Whispering Forest using the Gate, the group has finally reached the main camp of the army beastmen, currently serving as their temporary headquarter during this entire campaign. Everyone back at the camp has anxiously been waiting for news from the messenger's party for days now. Truthfully, things haven't been looking good for them. During Viviana's absence, the beastmen have been fighting a losing war with them presently focusing only on defense. That wouldn't normally be the case if they were against normal enemies but those monsters were an entire different story. It would take thirty strong men just to take one down and even in that case, the losses would be considerable for their side.

And then there was the issue of refugees. Ever since the series of mass disappearance started, all the smaller tribes, helpless on their own and unable to fight, have been trying to migrate to the military camps seeking sanctuary. By all means, Zen could not turn them away but by taking them in, it caused a shortage of supplies to sustain the army. With their empty stomach and low morale combined with the fact that they had no way to deal with the monsters, it seemed that the beastmen were at the end of the rope.

The group entered the camp, passing through many tents filled with injured soldiers. The medics rushed from left to right, dark circle under their eyes. It has been days since they couldn't take a moment of rest as the number of wounded just kept stacking up.

"The Champion has returned." An old woman uttered upon spotting Viviana.

Hearing that, others raised their heads and stared at her as they walked toward the center at the camp. The eyes of many followed wherever they went. Why did they come back alone? Where was the army from Zagon? Where was the reinforcement? Did the negotiation fail? And who were those two strangers?

"Lord Zen, we have returned"

"Ah Viviana. Just the person I want to meet. So how was the negotiation? Did it work?" Upon hearing about his Champion's return, Zen's dejected face brightened.

"In a way, the negotiation has been a success. Empress Morrigan has promised us her troops and they are currently on their way here. I will give you a detailed report later but now may I present to you: prince Alastor, heir to the Zagon throne and his ....wife Ikarus."

"Greetings, gentlemen! As the representative of Zagon in this alliance, I look forward for our cooperation." The boy put his hand on his chest and bowed to Zen.

"What is this? Sending a kid to represent an entire country? Are they underestimating us just because we are in a difficult situation?" Zen fumed. Sending an army or not, this kind of act may seem like Zagon was undermining the entire alliance, seeing it as nothing important or even mocking it. At least, that was how Zen saw it.

And his reaction was understandable. Thankfully, Viviana immediately tried to explain that Alastor was in no means just a simple kid. She told Zen how the boy singlehandedly beat both Lucas and Enti with ease. Of course, she didn't want to say that she too might have lost against him. Zen sent them to demonstrate their power to Zagon, to show them that the beastmen were not to be trifled with. Yet, they were crushed like bugs by an eleven years old child. That kind of news would be unnecessary, demotivating to the already low morale and would only destabilize the hard-earned alliance right now. Maybe she would tell Zen about it but later, when things were calm.

"I see. If you are indeed like Viviana said, then your help would be greatly appreciated. As much as I want to give you a better welcome, the situation requires our immediate attention so if you don't mind, I would like us to go straight to business." Zen stated.