Chapter Nine - The Building of Axel

-Back to Roo's perspective-

Mage and I glanced at each other. "I wonder why it's taking him so long..."

"Geez, Roo, you're so impatient, I'm right here." Blaze's voice came from behind us.

I turned around to see Blaze smirking at us and holding a protective mask in his hand.

"Heh, good job, kid." I congratulated him.

Blaze smiled and tossed me the mask, "Well, what are we waiting for? Let's go."

I nodded and slung my backpack over my shoulder before starting to run towards the boarded up building. This is so exciting!

As we neared the house, I pulled my backpack off and tossed it up into the branches of a tree.

"Why'd you do that?" Asked Mage.

"So no one will steal it." Blaze and I explained at the same time. Wow, Blaze is pretty smart, I guess that makes sense though.

"Oh, I can understand that... I guess."

I started to secure the mask on and wow, it fit way better than I expected. Which I'm happy about, because of what I want to do for a profession.

I looped the two straps on either side over my two ears and clipped them together right behind my head, then I pressed the metal part around my nose so that there was no part exposed.

"Ready, Roo?" Asked Blaze.

I nodded enthusiastically, "Yeah, let's go in."

We walked around the building, looking for any ways that we could get in so that we could search for Axel.

"Wait, we're being ridicules." Blaze laughed, "I can just slip through one of the walls, then once I'm inside I can open a window for Roo."

 "So, you can go through walls?" I asked, "But then how do you interact with objects? How did you pick up the mask?"

He rolled his eyes, "Us ghosts can go through walls and  interact with objects, we just have to concentrate when we do either. That's why some ghosts can't do both, but a lot of us can. We, obviously, have a lot of time to practice." As Blaze said this, he sounded bitter. He has been here for a while...

"Well, that sounds like a great plan." Mage broke the awkward silence.

"Thanks." Blaze smiled and waved before sliding through the wall in the back of the building.

A few moments later, a window a little bit above Mage and I flew open and Blaze peaked out gestured for us to come up.

"Hmmm... how'll I get up?" I looked around a bit before noticing some ivy twisting up the side of the wall towards the window. "Of course." I muttered as I shakily made my way up.

Mage went through the walls and joined Blaze before I could get up.

Blaze frowned, "Hurry it up, we don't have all day... or at least you don't."

I glared back up at him, "Then why'd you open the window on the second floor instead of the first?"

"Because I don't want any stupid people who don't have protection wandering in here in getting hurt from the asbestos or from anything else in here, and I assume you don't want any one to get hurt either." Blaze rolled his eyes.

Ugh, he's got a good point.

"Point taken." I grumbled as I pulled myself through the window.

"I'll board it back up after we find Axel." Blaze promised.

I nodded.

The building was in poor shape. The wallpaper, which I'm surprised it even had, was peeling off. The celling was crumbling in and the floor was even falling into the room below us.

"Ahh." I shifted my weight uncomfortably.

"Don't worry, you'll be fine, we won't let you get hurt." Blaze said impatiently, "Right now, we need to find Axel."

Wow, he really does care about his little brothers.

"Axel!" I called, "Axel!"

"He's not a dog!" Blaze snapped.

"Axel! We're here to help you!" Called Mage.

Blaze glared.

"What, this seems like the best option." Mage pointed out.

Blaze gave in, "Axel! Come here! It's Blaze, your brother!"

"B-Blaze?!" Called a voice not to far away.

"AXEL!" Screamed Blaze.

We all ran towards the voice and then we saw him; a small boy looking the exact way Mage had described him. Brown hair, looking about ten, and a bit shorter than Blaze.

Blaze and Axel ran into each other and embraced tightly. "Axel, I'm so glad you're safe!"