Chapter Twenty Nine - Face to Face with Alice

I sat at the edge of a small creek and watch it steadily flow. I had gotten in tell from Zoey that Alice has been spotted around here.

I tossed a small stone into the river and watched it ripple. I looked to my satchel sitting next to me.

Zoey gave me clippings of articles where people had reported having supposedly seen ghosts. I had all of them tucked neatly into a folder to keep them safe. I'll probably look over them sometime tonight.

I had also found out that ghosts look more see-through if they aren't as attached to this world, and if they look solid that means they are very attached to this world. I find that really interesting. You could go for the longest time thinking that someone was living, while they're actually a ghost.

"Long time no see." Came a voice from behind me.

I quickly turned to see a girl leaning against a tree and looking at me.

I stand up and out eyes lock.

The girl had blonde hair, brown eyes, and was wearing dark grey short over top of navy blue tights,  a navy blue hoody that was slightly unzipped revealing the bright blue T-shit below, and black boots.

"Hello." I smiled. 

She tilted her head slightly and looked back at me, "Sup."

I could tell she was a ghost, but she wasn't extremely see-through.

"You're Alice, correct?" I asked.

"Indeed," Alice paused for a moment before shooting me a soft glare, "And don't you dare call me 'Wonderland'."

"Heh, I'll try, but no promises." I replied. For some reason, I felt somewhat calm around her. She didn't scare me, like she probably would scare Haru or Sevta.

She let out a short laugh and offered a small smile, "That's just like you to say."

"Huh?" I tilted my head in confusion. What's that supposed to mean?

Alice blinked before her features fell into a scowl, "Oh don't tell me... ugh, you can't be serious."

"Wh-what do you mean?" I asked, feeling confused.

Arthur appeared to my left and came over to me.

Alice glared at Arthur, "Ekg, you filthy traitor."

"I'm no traitor." Arthur shot back, "I've been on your guys's side from the beginning."

Mage ran up to me from the right and grabbed my hand, giving Alice a worried look. I could tell Mage was mildly scared.

"Hey, it's okay." I whispered to Mage, "Don't worry."

"Are you kidding me!" Alice shouted, "You're the child of the person who started this asylum! If it weren't for your family, I wouldn't have ever been here!"

Arthur seemed caught off guard with what Alice said and sent a nervous glance in Mage and I's direction, before looking back at Alice, "We both know that it isn't my fault you're here."

"Speak for yourself!" Alice shrieked, "My life was horrible here, I only ever had one friend and I haven't spoken to her in years! The first time I've spoken to anyone in years was when Roo, Haru, and Sevta tried to use a spirit board!"

"Look, I understand what you're feeling, trust me, I do, but you have to calm down." Arthur urged her.

"No, I really don't." Alice turned and began to walk away.

"Wait, Alice!" I called, "I- we want to help you."

She looked over her shoulder at me with cold eyes, "I'm afraid not, Roo. I can't believe you associate yourself with a traitor like him. You know what he's done."

Alice stalked away and I didn't make a move to follow her, even though I felt like I should.

I turned to look at Arthur, who seemed a bit shaken up, "Are- are you okay?"

Arthur returned my gaze, "Yeah..."

I wrapped an arm around Mage in a side hug and she returned the hug. "We should probably get back to the dorm room before it gets dark." I suggested.

"Wh-what? You do realize that I'm the kid of the man who started the asylum. You still want me in your life?" Arthur asked, "You know what kind of horrible things my family has done to people in the past. What they've created here..."

"Why would that change anything?" I asked, "You're a great person, and a great friend. Just because you're family did some bad things in the past doesn't make you the same way. You're a different person from them, and this is your life... err- death? You're still an amazing person, and the fact that you want to help people move on just proves that."

Mage nodded in agreement, "You don't need to follow in their footsteps, and you didn't."

Arthur let out a breath and smiled, "I'm glad you think so."

As we started walking back to my dorm, I started to wonder...

"Hey, Arthur, Mage?"

"Hmmm?" Arthur looked at me.

"Yeah?" Mage asked.

"Why did Alice react the way she did when we were talking at the creek?" I asked, "She was acting like she knew me, and then got frustrated when I didn't show that I knew her."

"Uhhh..." The two of them looked at each other for a moment.

"She probably has seen you around campus and grown to know you." Arthur suggested, "I guess I don't know 100%."

"Yeah, or maybe you reminded her of someone she used to know." Mage said.

I nodded in agreement, "Probably one of those. I feel kind of bad that I couldn't help her, or at least not yet."

"I'm sure you'll figure something out."

=================================================================

Hiya my wolf pack~ I'm back and obnoxious as ever. Sorry I've been taking forever to update, life has been keeping my busy lately. I'm going to try and get another update out soon, but I can't make any promises.

Anyways, as always, I hoped you enjoyed and have a beautiful day/night, my wolf pack friends. Bye~! :3