Revenge

Selina and the group are five hours into their trip, and so far nothing bad has happened. Selina remains wary, her green eyes flicking over the forest and the sky.

She had sent Kara and Kalina ahead of them as scouts, Kara on the left of the path in the forest, and Kalina on the right of the path in the forest.

Any news Kara? Selina asks through their mental connection. There's a moment hesitation before her lion answers. No it's all clear. Selina.... 

Selina sighs knowing her lion is exhausted. Ok, come back Kara. Selina says, concern for the young lion coming into her voice. Are you sure? I can sta-
I'm sure Kara, just come back to me. Selina interrupts, switching her mental link to Kalina.

Kalina any updates? The lion answers right away. I'm sensing different chakras here and there but their leading to dead ends. Selina sighs, ands stops walking. Ok, I'll keep my eyes out for any danger, just come back right now. Selina says. Affirmative Mistress.

Someone clears their throat and Selina looks up, only to see all of team 10 staring at her, confused expressions on their faces. Selina shifts uncomfortably. "Uh I was talking to my lions. They said the coast is clear."

Asuma steps closer and Selina flinches which makes the male ninja stop. "Let's go." Selina mutters and walks ahead, staying away from the males in the group and walking next to Ino in an uncomfortable silence.

Not long after Kara and Kalina come out of the forest, both panting heavily. "Mistress" they bow their heads, then trotting over to Selina and Ino. Selina absently strokes Kara's soft fur and the lion leans into her.

Hours pass in silence and finally it's time to stop and make camp. Selina dismisses her lions, and they nod gratefully, returning to their world for some much needed rest.

Shikamaru watches Selina walk around the camp, his brown almost black eyes calculating her. She was so strange and she almost never talked. But something about her drew Shikamaru in, and again he felt that strange connection. He watched as she walked towards the small river in the forest, and he decided to follow her.

He waited for a few minutes before going after her, arriving at the river. There sat Selina, curled up in a ball, her silver hair cascading around her in waves, and she was staring at the river. But what surprised him the most was the single tear that was sliding down her cheek, glistening off the moonlight.

Selina took a deep breath, staring out at the river when she sensed someone's chakra. Her head snaps up and green eyes meet brown ones. "What are you doing?" Selina says, but it comes out as a whisper.

Shikamaru wordlessly comes towards Selina and sits down, staring out at the river with her.

Selina resists the urge to flinch when Shikamaru sits down next to her. Her heart starts to flutter fast and her hands shake.

Shikamaru sees Selina's hand shake out of the corner of his eye. He turns towards her and she flinches, scooting away from him.

Selina scoots away and Shikamaru cocks an eyebrow. "You know I'm not gonna hurt you. So why do act like I'm going to?" Shikamaru questions.

Selina snaps her head to look at Shikamaru, the only boy who's asked her this question. "Sometimes complete strangers are the ones that will scar you for life." Selina says, still looking at Shikamaru.