Chapter Three

Arizona
One Month Later

"This is the fifth time you've done this Arizona!" Bailey exclaims, banging her fists on the desk. "The fifth time!"
She walks from behind her desk and runs a hand through her hair. "I know things have been awful. I know. I get it. But why?! You're practically trying to throw away your career!"
My head is hanging like a guilty puppy. "It won't happen again. I'm sorry. I'm ---"
"HA! That's what you said the first time! I've given you opportunity after opportunity and you keep blowing it! You're the best fetal surgeon to be in this hospital, so it would be stupid for me to fire you. But I'm putting you on suspension. You're going to go home and you're going to stay there for three months. Okay? A three month suspension. Then we'll see if you took care of your problem. If you have then you can come back."
She storms out of the room.
A couple of minutes later, Richard timidly walks in. "Arizona?" He says.
I look up with tears in my eyes. "She was right." I say. "I've come to work drunk and then I've slept it off in the on call room. I've backed up my surgery schedule. I've screwed myself over."
He nods. "Yes, you did. But I don't think you're grieving." He says. He sits next to me on Bailey's couch and sets an arm behind my shoulders. "I think you're scared. Of something or someone, I don't know but you're scared. I can see it in your eyes. You're trying to forget something."
"Someone." I correct, looking at the floor.
"Okay, then. Someone. Is it Callie? Did she hurt you before she left?"
"No!" I exclaim. "God, no. I miss Calliope terribly but she never hurt me. I mean she did hit me once or twice but that was because I was having a panic attack."
"So... Who is it then?"
I look up at him with tears streaming down my face. "Can you just drive me to Joe's?" I ask.
"No! What the hell, Arizona? No. But how about I drive you to your house?"
I grumble. "Fine."
Under my breath I say "stupid fat black man."
He chuckles at that, and leads me out of the office.