Chapter Forty Two

Calliope

"Okay, she's in a farmhouse. It's located in the country, no more than an hour away from Seattle." Detective Devin says, clipping on his belt and starting to fill it with is guns and things.
I had just gotten here and he was waiting for me in the lobby, where he just - said it.
"I - You - How - What?!" I stutter.
He grins, putting a hand on my shoulder. "Callie." He states. "We found her. We're going to go get her and bring her back to you right now."
My legs crumble from under me, and I fall to the floor, my head in my hands as I began crying.
And not the pretty crying.
The choky, hiccupy, red eyed, puffy face, shaking, loud, ugly crying.
"¡Alabado sea el Señor! Voy a ver a mi Arizona de nuevo! ¡Oh Dios mío! ¡Oh Dio!¡" I scream in Spanish.
Detective Devin grabs my wrists and yanks me to my unstable feet.
"Pull yourself together, Callie. She's miserable. She's scared. She's been through way too much. It's been thirteen months. A year and then some. Of daily beatings, starvation, rape. She's not the same and she probably never will be. But she will be the closest thing there is to herself with your help. You're coming with us. You're the one going inside to get her."
I look up at him through my tears, before throwing my arms around his neck.
When we break away, he leads me outside to a Chevy car.
"Why are we in a Chevy and not some cop car or ambulance?" I ask.
"If by any possible chance Whitney is there and she hears sirens or she sees the flashing lights, she'll take Arizona and flee before we even get our hands on the doorknob. So if we're in a car, we can be possible travelers. Maybe we're someone who got lost. The point is, we're no threat. But then again, most kidnappers keep their distance and watch by cameras, go give them a beating, then run back to their hiding place, usually a couple of miles from the crime scene." He explains.
I nod along. "How?" I ask. "How'd you find her?"
He grins. "We took the picture sent to you and we put it through a scanner. We were able to see everything physically wrong with Arizona, so there's a team at Grey's Memorial right now preparing for her at an OR. Then, we scanned the background of the photo and after a couple of days, the results came back and little specks on the wall gave us note as to what color, what kind of wood, how the building was designed. And that's how we found out the physical appearance. Then, we traced the call back to an abandoned barn house that matched the exact look of the barn we had sketched. So yeah." He sates simply.
I notice he gets into cases like I get into surgeries. He was passionate about it.
I grin out the window.

I am coming, Az.