Chapter Thirty Four

Calliope

She laughs.
It's a nice laugh.
Not spectacular.
A bit forced.
Her voice was too high.
"Oh Callie!" She says. "You'll never guess what happened next!"
I spin my straw in my drink. "Mhmm?"
She rolls her eyes. "Don't you ever listen to me?"
I shake my head. "Nope."
We were at Joes getting drinks.
Desire was trying so hard to start a conversation with me, this was only our fourth date.
I don't want to hurt her feelings, so I try my best to act like I was interested in her. In us.
But no.
She's just a numbing medicine, distracting me from my pain.
I keep repeating that scene in my head.
"Callie?" Detective Devin says, reaching across the table and grabbing hold of my hands. "It's been months now. Usually when someone's gone missing this long we move on from their case." He looks me in the eye. "It's very possible that your wife may not be alive. You haven't gotten any texts anymore. That probably means they've killed her. I think you need to accept the fact that Arizona is gone. Move on. Fight. She'd want you to."
That was the moment my life was ruined. Being told your wife was probably dead and they didn't care about her disappearance as much as other cases was very unnerving.
So, I went to Joes one night.
got drunk.
Met Desire.
She likes me a lot.
But oh well.
She checks her phone.
"Oh my gosh! I'm sorry, Callie. I have to go. Meet you later? It's a client!"
"Yehhhhhh sure we can meet later." I say, rolling my eyes and not making eye contact with her.
She was a therapist with insane clients, so it was always important when she had to leave.
She walks out of the door, and I am surprised when I hear it.
The game changer.
Ring!