11: The Akuma

Marinette sat up sleepily in her seat. School. Again.

"Marinette Dupain-Cheng," Ms Bustier said, "what did I just say?"

"Uh ... Tonight's homework is to discuss the um ... Physics work we've been doing in class ...?"

"Alright. You've saved yourself a trip from the principal's office. But stay awake, for goodness' sake!" she exclaimed.

"Yes, Ms Bustier," Marinette murmured. The last five minutes of class rolled on slowly, every second feeling like a minute for Marinette. Alya nudged her, chuckling. "Marinette," she began, "means 'the one who rises', but to me, it looks like you're always half asleep!"

"Yeah ..." Marinette tried to laugh but was too tired. After she had found Tikki, she lay awake thinking about the previous Ladybug. She couldn't sleep that night. And that was why, now, she had deep purple eye bags under her eyes, and her cheeks were flushed.

"... And that's all for today," Miss Bustier concluded. "Now, you must do your homework, or else, it's detention for you!" She stared straight at Marinette with her teal eyes. Marinette gulped, and walked down the classroom, about to turn left when she felt something catch her leg, and she tripped over. Right in front of Adrien. Chloé stood above her, snickering.

"See you next time, loser," she snorted, sashaying away. Adrien shot her a glare, and held out a hand.

"Here, let me help you, Marinette," he offered, but Marinette wasn't in the mood, even if her crush was helping her up.

"I'm sorry -" she choked, "I can't do this," she got herself to her feet, and sadly stumbled out of the classroom.

🐞🐞🐞

Marinette sunk down onto her bed, angrily. It was Chloé. It was always Chloé. She started akuma attacks, she made people cry, she made people angry, she hurt people, she was ...

She knew the chances of herself getting akumatised were very high, and she tried to control her feelings, but it was no use. Her emotions spilled out like a bucket with holes.

There, Hawkmoth seized his chance. "Oh, poor Marinette," he snickered. "Young girl, but that bully always gets in her way." He held out his hand, and a butterfly flew into it, turning a deep purple and black as it fluttered away into the rooftops of Paris.

"Go to that Marinette, and give her what she wants!" He cackled.

The akuma darted around Paris, flying to its victim. Marinette. But Marinette wasn't Marinette anymore, she was Ladybug. She was hoping that if she could stay in this form, she wouldn't be so depressed. So far, though, it wasn't working as well as she wanted it to.

Confused, the akuma took a moment to realise what was happening, before heading to Ladybug - she was Marinette. They were both the same target. The akuma fluttered into Ladybug's view, and she noticed it, and tried to run, but it was too fast for her, and it flew straight into her heart.

She saw light. And then she saw blackness. She squeezed her eyes shut, fighting against the akuma.

"I .... Miraculous ..." The faint voice of Hawkmoth sounded. Marinette was fighting, she was fighting hard. Harder than she had fought against any akuma.

There was a sea of darkness, and her mind was blocked, apart from one mission - to get Chat Noir's miraculous. Then, there was golden light, and her thoughts channeled through her mind once again.