20: Investigations

Marinette sat in the living room, talking to her mother. She was leaning on her shoulder.

"Marinette, we missed you so much!" she whispered. "What happened to you? Your face, it's full of cuts and bruises!"

Sometimes Marinette felt her heart become so heavy, constantly lying to her friends and family. "I leaned out of my window to like outside, my misplaced my footing and slipped. I fell out of the window."

"Oh my God! I can't believe this happened to you!" her mother gasped. "I can't let this happen again." She hurried up to Marinette's room and shut the windows, locking them securely. "Do not open those," she said.

"Yes, mom," Marinette replied. Her mother nodded strictly and then went down the stairs.

Marinette sat in her room feeling regretful for a while. "Tikki," she mumbled, "we had the chance to get rid of Hawkmoth, but we didn't take it!"

"Marinette," Tikki replied, comfortingly, "you couldn't have done anything. You would have needed more time to think, to know about what even to do with Hawkmoth."

Marinette looked at her watch. "Thanks, Tikki," she sighed, "but I still feel regretful."

"It's natural. You'll get over it," Tikki smiled.

"I'd better get to school." It was a dark and cloudy Wednesday morning and it was seven forty five. She had to get to school by eight.

She hurried down the stairs, brought along a few chocolate chip cookies (mostly for Tikki) and then quickly jogged through the streets. She slid into class just as the bell rang, and leaped into her seat.

"Close call," Alya smirked. "What happened to your face?"

"I fell out of a window," Marinette explained.

"Pfft. Yeah, right!" she chuckled.

The teacher began teaching their literature lesson, about Shakespeare. Marinette had already studied him a lot of times. She could have called herself fluent in Shakespeare.

And so half the day was finished, and Marinette switched off her tablet. She and Alya walked out the classroom and Adrien caught up with them, carrying a stack of books.

"Shall I compare thee to a summer's day?" he grinned, and Marinette laughed.

(A/N Yes this was probably a scene before but I couldn't resist not putting it in again)

Chloe snarled like a wolf, and walked briskly past them with her chin high up in the air.

Adrien went forward to catch up with Nino, where they began talking about other random things.

"Let's go find a table," Marinette suggested. They found a wooden table at the back of the school, where they took a seat.

"Marinette?" Alya asked.

"What is it?"

"I've been meaning to tell you something. For just the past few days," she said.

"Go ahead!" Marinette smiled.

"You're Ladybug, aren't you?"

Marinette's smile wavered. "Uh ... What? Y-You know m-me, I couldn't possibly be her! I'm so clumsy, and I don't finish my homework, and uh ..." she started counting her flaws on her fingers.

"I'm pretty sure it's you, Marinette," Alya said. "I mean, who could miss the jet-black hair? Those bluebell eyes?"

Marinette shook her head. "Alya, I think you're talking about the wrong person..." She laughed nervously.