19: The Rise and Fall

Hawkmoth knew Ladybug's weakness. Marinette was much more vulnerable than Ladybug. The question was, how would he get to her? If he akumatised her, which was hard enough to do already, she would turn into Ladybug. And every time he realised an akuma, he drastically failed.

He needed to take a step forward. He knew he lost every time, no matter how hard he tried to succeed. 

Hawkmoth clenched his fists and looked out the window. Oh, sweet Marinette, sitting in her room. Who would have known that she was Ladybug? 

Perhaps the best way that Hawkmoth could capture her was to reveal himself, but just for a short while. Of course. He would sneak into her room and bring her to his lair.

Easy enough.

  🐞🐞🐞 

Marinette had her earphones plugged in and was listening to music while doing some homework when she thought she saw a black shadow blur past the window. She pulled out her left earphone and looked up. "Tikki," she asked, "did you see that?"

There was no response.

"Tikki?" she pulled out her other earphone. "Tikki?" she was certain that Tikki wouldn't just run off again - she had made a promise. Besides, why would she anyway? What if she was taken? Marinette put down her pen and stood up.

"Tikki," she called. She briefly saw the shadow fly past again, but this time, even closer. Marinette crept forward and looked out the window. Just clear, blue skies and a few buildings.

"Hello, Marinette," a voice suddenly spoke. Marinette whirled around to find Hawkmoth standing there.

"H-How did you get in here?" Marinette gasped.

"Oh, just a few little tricks of mine," he laughed. "Oh, what lovely earrings you've got there."

Marinette held her earrings in shock.

"Sorry, but Ladybug can't come to save you today. You're coming with me, and so is your kwami. I know who you are, Marinette."

Marinette took a step back and tried to run down the ladder but Hawkmoth grabbed her jacket and tugged her back.

"Get away from me, you monster!" she yelled. "HELP!"

"Your daddy's not here. When the cat's away, the mice will play." Marinette screamed one last time, before Hawkmoth pulled her away into the shadows.

BAKER'S DAUGHTER KIDNAPPED

Sabine wiped away a few tears as she looked around the house. "How could we let this happen?" she gasped. She knelt on her husband's shoulder. "Our daughter is gone, without a trace. It's like she just vanished!"

"Who would have even wanted to kidnap her?"

"I d-don't know," Sabine whispered.

There was a knock on the door and Mr Dupain went over to open it. It was Alya.

"Where's Marinette?" she asked. "Is she really kidnapped?"

"Yes," Marinette's father sighed. "We don't know where she is. And we don't know who would have wanted to kidnap her!"

"Me neither. Marinette was such a kind person, I don't see why anyone would want her to steal her from the world."

Alya took a seat and buried her face in her hands. "I hope she's okay ..." she murmured.

"That's all we can do, my dear," Sabine sighed. "Do you mind helping me put some posters up?"

"Of course," Alya smiled weakly.