22: The Tear

Gabriel needed her more than ever.

He had been without Maria for over ten years and he had become cold because of it. Nothing would stand in his way of getting her back. Nothing.

He clenched his fists.

Why did he want her? She had left him ... But why? He had been so confused for all these years, and he deserved an answer.

There was a knocking at the door and Gabriel froze. "Who's there?" he snarled.

"Nathalie," a voice came from outside.

"Alright," his voice softenened, "you may come in."

Nathalie stepped inside Gabriel's office and took a seat.

"What is it?" Gabriel questioned.

"Your son. Adrien," she began. "Don't you think that he would like some more freedom? I feel that he is being ... Restricted."

"Restricted? How I bring up my son is none of your concern, Nathalie," he replied, sternly. "Is that all?"

Nathalie narrowed her eyes. "I've been working with you for a very long time, Mr Agreste, and I can see something in your eyes."

"Excuse me?" he said, angrily.

"I know what burden you're putting on your son. I have no intention of bringing him up like you. Like Hawkmoth." She placed down a clipboard. "I know who you are, Mr Agreste. I'm so sorry that Adrien had to have a father like you."

"What are you talking about?!" he yelled, smashing his fist on the table, and a cup of coffee spilt all over some papers.

"You're Hawkmoth," she shouted back.

"GET OUT!" he roared. "YOU'RE FIRED! IF YOU TELL A SINGLE SOUL ABOUT THIS I SWEAR, I WILL FIND YOU!"

She shot him a glare and stormed out of the office. Of course, this was bound to happen, but she didn't care. She didn't want to work for some psychopath who wanted revenge, on whatever it was.

Nathalie hurried out of the office, only to find Adrien standing horrified by the door, and smashed glass by his feet - the 'remains' of a cup of water.

"Adrien?" she gasped. "Are you alright?"

He took a step backwards. "H-Hawkmoth is my father?"

"Adrien..." she sighed.

"You were fired?" he took a step towards the door to Gabriel's office, but she put her arm on his shoulder.

"Are you sure you want to go in there?" she warned. Adrien glanced at her. "I ... I guess not."

"Don't worry, I'll clean up the mess." She pointed to the broken glass. "Just go to your room."

"Are you going to leave the household?" Adrien asked, stepping away from the broken glass.

"I'm afraid so," Nathalie sighed, "I'm so sorry. Be strong, alright?" She pulled out a broom and swept up the shattered shards of glass. "Goodbye, Adrien," she smiled weakly.

Something clicked in his mind.

A memory.

His mother.

His eyes suddenly welled up with tears.

I love you, Adrien. I'll miss you.

"Adrien!" Nathalie said, as a small tear rolled down his cheek. Adrien hadn't cried in ages - she wondered what she had triggered. "Adrien!"

Adrien whispered, "I love you mommy ... That's what I said."

His mother. Of course. He had just remembered her. Adrien had always been so calm about the subject, he had never really been as emotionally sensitive as this.

"I'm sorry about your mother, Adrien."

"Why did she disappear?" Adrien asked, although he knew that Nathalie didn't know the answer.

"I don't know, but she loved you. That's for sure," Nathalie reassured. Adrien wiped the tear from his rosy cheeks and turned away.

"Thank you, Nathalie," he said quietly.

🐾 🐾🐾

Adrien sat tiredly in class the next day. Marinette noticed this - he had slight purple bags under his eyes. After class was finished, Marinette hurried to his side.

"Adrien? Are you alright?" she asked. "You looked a little tired today."

"There's something I need to talk to you about," he replied.

(A/N Do you think there should be a bigger love interest? They're still acting like friends ... What do you think *insert comment here*)

Marinette waved to Alya as she walked back home and she and Adrien took a seat.

"Wait - don't you have fencing today? I mean - um - I don't have your whole schedule in my room!" Why are you stuttering? she asked herself.

"I cancelled today's lesson," he replied. "Do you know Nathalie?"

"Yeah! Isn't she the one who kind of helps you and works in your house or something ...?" Marinette answered.

"She was fired," he said.

"What?" Marinette gasped. "When?"

"Yesterday," Adrien said. "because she found out that my father was Hawkmoth."

Marinette put her hands to her mouth in shock. "Oh my God ..." she whispered. "He's Hawkmoth?"

"Turns out my dad is the most feared super villain of Paris. Not a big deal," he sighed, but Marinette could almost see the tremendous weight that was crushing his shoulders. "I can't be with him, knowing that he's a monster," Adrien whispered. "I can't even look at him without screaming on the inside."

"Does he know that you know?" Marinette asked, gently.

"No. I don't know what I'm going to do," Adrien said.

They sat there for a while, under the sun, just thinking.

🐞 🐞🐞

Oops sorry for the short chapter guys! I was just rereading my whole story and thought about the whole adventure I'd been on since the very start. I thought how different the start of my story was to how it is now.

Wow.

I wouldn't have been able to do any of it without you guys so thank you so much! I can't even express my thanks to you all but here's the best I can do.

*Virtual ice cream store with free ice cream*

Vanilla, strawberry, chocolate, mango and grape flavours

(And Camembert)

There. There's all your heart's desire in one ice cream store.

BAI!

-Hazel🐱