Maps; Red lights.

The clogs in my brain turn slowly as I take in the new information.

She's deaf.

Surrounded by complete silence.

It all starts to make sense, the reason why she never responded when I talked to her. It's because she couldn't hear me, it wasn't because she was ignoring me or being rude, it was because she couldn't physically hear.

Realisation makes my heart sink to my stomach in guilt; all this time I've been thinking she was selfish and ignorant and rude, when really she had absolutely no clue that I was even there. I feel guilty, like I owe her an apology for jumping to conclusions and assuming the worst, although that's what people do; people always jump to conclusions, it's probably one of the main reasons why people argue.

The lads glance at me, waiting for any type of reaction. I'm just sitting in shock, I feel awful. Guilt is probably the best way to describe it, a wave of the emotion floods my entire body and my expression changes from a shocked one to an understanding and regretful one. I hastily release a large sigh and drop my head into my hands, my elbows resting on my knees to keep me in a hunched over position.

"You okay Harry?" Liam breaks the silence. All of the lads looking at me worriedly.

"Yeah," I sigh once again. "I just feel awful. This whole time I thought that she was a bitch because she was ignoring me, I didn't realise that she couldn't hear." I confess, the guilt eating me alive.

"It's alright mate," Niall pats my back comfortingly, "at least she doesn't know. She won't mind, she probably gets that all the time. Don't worry about." I believe him slightly knowing that this can't have been the first time something like this has happened.

"I suppose." I breathe in and glance at them all. "I'll introduce myself properly tomorrow then." I decide and they all nod at me in understanding.

•••

Well today is the day. I'm actually a little nervous to speak to her because I don't really know what to say, or how to start. I don't know whether she is going to be really nice or completely rude, and the thing I'm most worried about is how to actually approach her.

I couldn't sleep last night, instead I spent the entire night planning my introduction, only to have no success. So, not only am I still really nervous, but I'm beyond tired.

The lads left early this morning for work. Niall was the target for pranks today and ended up getting the old 'whipped cream in the face' trick. Which was hysterical by the way, he just ended up licking it all off.

After my four best friends left, my apartment became silent. The almost eerie quietness taking over the calm atmosphere and making me gently close my eyes; my ears listening intently of any type of noise, only to hear nothing. No creaks. No taps. No drips. Nothing but completely silence.

This is what it must be like for her.

It's tranquil but it makes my heart shake in my chest. It's terrifying.

My eyes shoot open and I decide to leave, I can probably find something to do in town so I decide that's where I'm going. I grab my car keys and I'm out the door in a shot, running down the three flights of stairs and into the small hallway to the main door.

I catch a glimpse of the mailman stood in his work attire. A typical bright red high visibility jacket with grey shorts and a red satchel as he posts the mail into the correct interior mailboxes for the buildings tennants.

A small minute idea pops into my head and I smack myself internally for even considering it, although I have nothing to lose, so, why not?

"Excuse me?" I ask the mailman, taking him from his duties as he glances over at me inquisitively.