Prologue.

H a r r y

The ride to Niall's flat is peaceful as always.

With no radio or music on, it leaves the car silent and tranquil. I've grown used to driving to the lads apartment building over the last three years.

I met Zayn, Niall, Liam and Louis three years ago when we started uni, we all shared the same dorm, so we spent most of our time in each others company. And as you have probably already guessed, are now incredible friends. They've been with me through thick and thin, no matter what one of us needs, the others will always be there for help and support.

The good thing about the lads is, during their second year of uni the four of them decided to live in the same apartment building, Louis and Zayn on the fourth floor and Niall and Liam on the second floor while I shared an apartment with my girlfriend at the time.

But considering I found out she had been cheating on me, I broke up with her and am now currently staying with Niall until I can find somewhere else to live. I'm really thankful for Niall's hospitality, he volunteered himself to take me in and I can't thank him enough for that.

The roads in Devon are smooth and slick to drive down. I moved here from Holmes chapel because there were more courses at uni for business and there was a brilliant internship for me down here. My family were a bit reluctant but I call them every other day just so they know I'm okay and how I'm doing, my mums proud of me and Gemma often comes down to visit when she can, I only live three hours away and I know how hard it must be for them, so I take time to call them.

I pull up to the familiar building and park my car in its usual place before grabbing the Starbucks drinks tray from the passenger seat, I lock the car and take out my keys to open the main security door to the building then make my way to Niall's flat on the second floor. As I walk up the stairs I take out the key and open the apartment door, still clutching onto the drinks tray.

"Niall?" I shout, calling him. I decided that I would wake up extra early this morning and get a few errands done, so while I was out I nipped into Starbucks and got myself and Niall our morning coffee's. Today is Sunday, so all of us are off work, and we spend basically everyday together, including the weekends. Sometimes the other lads spend their free time with their girlfriends which just leaves me and Niall, but after a new worker started at Starbucks I don't think it's going to be long until he's in a relationship as well.

He's so oblivious to it, they both like each other, but they don't know it yet; so I take whatever opportunity I can to tease him from time to time. Like right now...

"Hey mate," I watch as he walks down the hall from what I presume was his bedroom. "Which ones mine?" he asks pointing to the two warm coffees.

"This one," I kindly hand it to him, carefully taking a sip from my own and making sure not to burn myself. "That girl asked about you again." I smugly add, knowing I will gain his complete attention at just that small statement.

His eyes flicker up to me and his jaw drops slightly at the revalution. Disbelievingly, he walks swiftly over to me and attempts to act cool. "Yeah, April I think her name is." I add, purposefully getting it wrong, and hoping he falls into my cunning trap.

Which he does.

"Do you mean Amy?" he corrects.

"Oh yeah , that's the one." hiding my sly smirk behind my cup because I'm unable to visually control my laughter. I turn so my back is facing him, making sure he won't notice my silent chuckles.

"What did she say?" he asks inquisitively, trying not to sound too eager but still genuinely curious.

"She just asked how you were, that's all." I reply hoping it satisfies him.

"Oh, okay." he answers, a smug smile playing on his lips, proud at the thought of Amy thinking about him. A small knock surrounds the apartment and I make my way towards the door, my cup keeping my free hand warm as my other hand grasps around the cool metal handle.

I swing the door open to reveal my other three best friends, stood chatting and smiling at each other, impatiently waiting for me to open the door. "God, took your time Harry." Louis mocks and ruffles my hair as he walks past me and into the living room.

"Hey!" I whine knowing my hair is now more of a mess than before, due to the fact it's been pushed into my eyes and is currently covering my vision.

"Respect your elders!" he shouts jokingly, Zayn and Liam having now passed me and followed Louis into the living room.

After closing the door, I place myself next to Liam on one couch, whilst Zayn and Louis sit on the other couch and Niall sits in the armchair. "Hey Harry, have you had any luck finding an apartment yet?" Liam asks inquisitively.

The thing about apartment hunting is, there aren't many apartments available. I've searched everywhere for one and I've still had no luck. Don't get me wrong I love living with Niall, he's a great laugh and always fun to be around, but I know he needs his personal space and I feel like I'm invading that.

"No not yet, and it's not through lack of trying either. There aren't any around here." I sigh. I don't want to move too far away from the lads, they're my only friends in Devon, they're basically family now.

"Well you might be in luck." Louis chips in hopefully, glancing up from a message on his phone.

"What do you mean?" I contort my features as I glance at Louis, not really knowing where he is going with this.

"Do you know Grumpy Dave in 3b?" he asks.

Grumpy Dave lives in the apartment above Liam's, but below Zayns. Apartment 3b. We named him grumpy Dave because every time we see him he is frowning and whenever we try to have a normal conversation with him, he just mumbles to himself begrudgingly. It's safe to say he lives up to his name.

"Yeah?" I ask quizzically, elongating the vowels.

"Well he got a girlfriend and he's moving in with her, so 3b will be empty." Louis finished nonchalantly, his fingers playing with his hair.

My eyebrows rise and I look at him in disbelief. I don't know whether I'm more shocked about the apartment up for sale or the fact that grumpy Dave has a girlfriend! "How do you know that?"

"Just got a text message off a friend who was keeping an eye out for apartments for me." Louis shrugs.

This apartment building is in the nicest part of town, the views are incredible. It has a small public garden at the front with loads of flowers bursting with colour, it's surrounded by perfect green grass and picturesque landscapes. The apartments in this building are so hard to come across because everyone wants one, it'd be brilliant if I lived here so close to my friends, well literally in the apartment in the middle of them. I wouldn't have to drive all the way to see them, I could just walk up or down a flight of stairs.

"Harry that apartment is perfect for you! You should call the building manager and sign a contract before anyone else can, you know how hard these apartments are to get." Liam enthuses, the idea of us all being in the same building is admirable.

"Yeah, and you've got the upper hand because at the minute no-one but us knows about it." Niall's adds as if he is reading my thoughts.

"You're right, I should call the building manager." I reply frantically, the idea getting me excited to no end. I can't believe I could actually be living here with my four best friends!

"It's already ringing mate." Zayn says, passing his phone to me as it connects to the number for the building manager.

"Okay, here we go."

__________________________

Comment what you think :)