the first date

I woke up in the room I share with Nickolas we had curled up together in the night and our legs were tangled together. His arms were wrapped tightly around my body and my head was tucked into the crook of his neck. I struggled to get out of his grip and succeeded. My eyes were dry and puffy and my throat hurt. I grabbed a glass of water and downed it in one gulp.

I felt like coming to pieces, I felt myself shaking from the pain in my head and I wanted to crawl into my dad’s arms and feel comforted. Dad. Hesitantly I picked up the house phone and called dad, my call reached my dad’s receptionist.

“Suzumi!!! How many times do I have to tell you to go away! Leave him alone! He’ll give you the money later you hussy! Just get lost you stupid sl-” I hung up before she could continue her yelling. Who was Suzumi? And what money was she talking about? I got changed and looked at the clock. 12.

Oh crap I skipped school. And if the school calls mom. I gulped. Mom would assume the worse. I quickly sent a text to Mimi to tell her to try and cover for me and Nick. I walked into Nick and I’s room to get a change of clothes and I notice a sheen of sweat on his forehead. I gently put my hand on his forehead and he was burning up. I took a thermometer out and checked his temperature before rushing of to get the fever medicine. I woke nick up and he grouchily but obediently took the meds.

Over the few days I took care of Nick, the fever didn’t get better, in fact it got worse, I took Nick to hospital to get checked. They were able to identify the illness but under Nick’s request refused to tell me. I groaned. It was all my fault to. If I hadn’t gone to that god forsaken cemetery in first place.  I sighed and walked out of the room. It was his third day here. Nick had passed out on his second day and still hasn’t woken up. The doctors had told me that he must have caught it else where before the symptoms started showing, that that night in the cemetery only sped up the signs of the symptoms.

Mackenzie of course ‘loved’ visiting him and stayed there almost 24/7. The nurses and doctors thought they were dating and thought I was Nick’s friend. Somehow it bothered me a lot, during the days nick was gone I slept worse and often had creepy dreams I couldn’t remember. According to Mimi, Dee and Kris I was spending less and less time with them, so I agreed to go to Mimi’s house for a sleep over. Today, I was getting ready for a date with Ant. I carefully applied some of Dee’s ‘magic lip gloss’. She bought it for me, apparently it was perfect for my skin tone and was amazing.

To be honest i never took ant as the romantic type but he proved me wrong. He showed up at my front door with a bouquet of red roses and has a sheepish smile on his face. He was obviously uncomfortable holding a bouquet  of flowers but I think it was  more of the date spot.

“where are we going?” i asked. More of demanded but never mind.

“A clichéd surprise.” He shot me his typical and smile before awkwardly handing me the flowers. The roses were beautiful fresh cuts but they weren’t my favourite flower. No one knew them.

But Nick knows them...                                                                                         

Stupid accursed inner voice. I went in and put the flowers in a vase and rushed out to hug Ant properly.

“Thanks Ant.” I whispered shyly, he hugged me back and kissed the top of my head fondly.

“Anytime.” He replied as he pulled me closer. I rested my cheek on that one spot where i could always feel his heart beat. I arched my face up and gently kissed him. I felt him smile against my lips before he pulled away.

“What was that for?” He asked. “Not that I’m complaining.” I giggled at him.

“Your reward.” I responded.

“You don’t even know what the surprise is.” He pointed out. I shrugged my shoulders half heartedly.

“I know a few things about it. 1, you’ll be there. 2, you won’t take me to something i hate. 3, It’ll be amazing.”

“And how do you know it’s amazing?” He asked all playfulness suddenly gone from his voice. I gulped and tried to remember what i was going to say. Right now he looked so much like Nickolas. The face shape, the hair, the lips, the cheeks, the eyes but not the eye colour. But there were differences between the two of them that i noticed. The eye colour, the smile, the attitude, the hair colour, the skin tone...

“Because you’ll be there.” I whispered out, my eyes were half shut and i was breathing heavily. He kissed me with passion and I ran my fingers through his hair before i began to tangle them in. The kiss ended soon and with effort i felt him pull away.

“Not now Lia, we’ll be late” He said raggedly. Something was wrong with his voice. I opened my eyes not knowing what to expect. I guess it was anything but the Sapphire blue eyes i was greeted with. I was too blessed out by the kiss to think of why I was so startled. Ant led me to his car and drove me off to where ever we were going. He took me to a theatre and led me in.

I wasn’t paying much attention until i felt Ant chuckle and shake me out of my daydream. “The shows starting Lia.” He chuckled before he licked his lips.

“What show? And why did you just lick your lips?”

The show, and what did you put on your lips? They were so sweet.” I blushed after he said that.

“Magic lip gloss.” I replied as i ducked my head shyly.

“Shh the show’s starting.” I hushed and Ant chuckled beside me. He mumbled something about women and rolled his eyes at me. I waited and the curtains rose, before me was act 1 of scene one of swan lake. My all-time favourite fairy tale, the way a prince falls for a girl that transforms into a swan was just so sweet. I always wanted to watch the ballet version of it.

“Oh Ant, thank you so much.” I sighed.

“Anything for you.” He responded.

With Swan Lake, the main ballerina is supposed to be upset about her circumstances. That's why, as a lot of people say, it is as important for her to show emotion and have perfect grace and remember all the steps. I knew that some dancers and choreographers rely on the choreography and music to convey emotion, even with lighting and scenery. It was wonderful the way the emotion was conveyed. The love, the pain, the desperation, but not so much that it makes her look like she hates life.

In the end, I was brought to tears. I hated the black swan with all my heart. All the white swan wanted was to be free. Even though she lost her love, through death she became free of her curse. It was so sad.

Ant chuckled on the way out as he wiped my tears away. “Our date’s not over yet. You can cry when that happens though.” He teased.