Chapter 3

Finnick POV

Plutarch told me and Katniss to go to sleep. But I can't. Not after what happened. And I'm not the only one. I could tell that Katniss is having a hard time sleeping. She keeps moving too much.

"Having trouble falling asleep?" I ask. My voice is cracking, but I don't pay much attention to it.

"Yes, you too?" She whispers.

"Obviously." I hear her laugh a little, but it is forced.

"Do you think they were in pain?" she asks. She doesn't have to say who for me to know who she's talking about.

"Everyone. Peeta. Prim. District 12," she sounds tired. Tired of fighting. Tired of keeping up the act of rebellion. Tired of being strong. I know she's scarred inside. We all are. The Games change us in ways we never could imagine.

"I don't know Katniss. But all I know right now is that we have to keep living. To keep going on and keep surviving. They wouldn't want us to back down. They would want us to keep fighting for what we all sacrificed our lives for. And keep going until we're finished," I sigh.

"I don't know. I'm tired of fighting. Sometimes I just want to curl up in a ball and disappear. I'm tired of living," She curls up into herself.

"Katniss, you're not the only one who lost someone," I think of Mags and Annie as I whisper.

"Finnick," she whispers apologetically. She sounds afraid and sad and tired.

"Annie and Mags," I gasp out. My voice is cracking from silently sobbing.

"You have no one too. Just like me. I guess we just never get what we want. No matter how pretty our face is. The only one who gets what they want are the stupid Capitol people and Snow," she mutters their names in hate.

"Katniss, you have Haymitch and even though he doesn't show it, he does care for you. He tries to give you the best, but in ways that none of us will ever understand."

"But Haymitch is not Peeta or Gale or Prim or my mother. He doesn't comfort me. He doesn't hold me in my sleep. He's not going to be there when I wake up from nightmares. When I wake up screaming. He's not the one who will kiss me goodnight and tell me everything's going to be alright. He's not going to be there to love me or be my family," she says, starting to get frustrated.

As she says this she starts to sob and eventually, she has to gasp the words out. She sounds as if she is having trouble breathing. For a minute I think she's having an emotional breakdown and I go to get Plutarch before she stops me.

"Finnick," she gasps out, "please don't. I don't want to be put to sleep. Please."

She starts to sob even harder. She starts to remind me of Annie. Annie would start breathing quickly like she was running out of breath. Katniss then makes terrible choking sound like she did when Peeta hit the force field in the arena. She covers her mouth to try and stop them, but just like in the arena, they just keep on coming.

I stop walking towards the door and start walking towards her bed. I kneel down near her head and I look at her with a worried expression.

"Katniss, why don't you like getting put to sleep?" I ask gently. She frowns and looks up at me.

"I don't mind getting put to sleep. " She sighs and looks sideways to the wall, "the thing that bothers me is that whenever I wake up, I forget about everything, then next second later, everything comes back in a flash and it's too much for me to handle. I use to be able to handle it, but that was when I had Pe-" She stops as if its too much to handle, "Now, I have no one. I have Haymitch, but not like that."

I watch her for a while until I say, "That's not true. Katniss, you also have me. Don't forget about me."

She looks surprised at what I said, but then she starts thinking. Then, she looks up at me with eyes filled with pain.

"We have each other," she whispers. She closes her eyes and tries to sleep.

I walk back to my bed and lay down. I close my eyes and try to fall asleep too.

She's right. We do have each other. And we will always have each other till death, because we understand each other. We are mirrors of each other. We are both scarred.