Chapter 12

Katniss POV

"Fun," I question. I don't know if I exactly want to do this. Finnick and his games, well they aren't exactly my sort of thing.

"Yes, a bit personal but fun, but just a way to get to know you. You're practically one of the only people I have left and you never let me know anything." He fake pouts to tease me.

"What if I want to get to know you too? Will I get a chance to ask questions?"

"Yeah, yeah, you will. We'll stay out for as long as it takes," he sighs mockingly. 

"Alright, if you say so" I shiver.

"Still cold?" he asks. I could feel him smirk against my cheek.

"Yeah," I laugh a little.

"Ready?"

"Sure?" I say hesitantly. 

"Sure? It's a yes or no question."

"Whatever, lets just get this over with," I sigh

He claps his hands together. "Alright then, lets get the party started. Who taught you how to swim?"

"My father. He taught me a lot of thing, even how to use a bow and arrow but-" I stop now wanting to say the words I've known my whole life.

"How did he die?" he asks gently. He tries his best not to push, but it'll always be a pushy subject.

"A mine explosion," I chuckle bitterly. "Remember in the quarter quell, when I talked about the birds singing and if they stopped they were already dead?"

"Yeah?"

"My father told me that." In that moment I realize what I must sound like. Suffocating, my voice cracking and squeaking. 

"How was your life after he passed away?" Finnck whispers into my hair.

"My mother, I loved her and I still do, but during that time I couldn't help but feel so angry at her. She just stopped with life and she did nothing to support me and Prim. It's like she wasn't even there anymore. And now she actually isn't."

I feel Finnick give me a tight squeeze. People were given to love and cherish yet taken away and ripped out of your life in a blink of an eye.

"Tell me honestly, do you blame yourself?" Finnick whispers. Its barley audible.

"I just wanted to go home," I say and nothing else is needed for him to understand.