Chapter 17

Katniss POV

 One minute everything was normal and next thing I know hands are roaming all over the place. I shouldn't have let it get out of control. The teasing should've ended sooner, but since it didn't we're now in this mess.

I've asked myself why I played along. I realized the reason is because I care a little bit too much. Seeing pieces of the old Finnick coming back led me to hope. I just wasn't expecting him to bring the game it back to the hovercraft.

I stare daggers at him while he looks at me amused. And it is that look that keeps me from completely being mad at him. People we were before the war, it's a soft spot of mine.

The problem is if this doesn't turn out to be a game after all, I can't follow him. Not like this and especially not with me and Peeta's ally.

"No, but seriously. Get your eyes off each other for one second and look at me," Haymitch says. He waits for us to make eye contact with him and changes his tone of voice before saying, "What exactly do you think you guys are doing?"

"We-" I start, but Haymitch cuts me off.

"I change my mind, I don't want to hear you speak. Just follow me. Both of you," he adds.

As we walk I see Finnick smirking and force a smile out of me for the sake of it. He notices its fake and his smirk fades away.

Haymitch brings us to a room where Plutarch is already seated. Both of them watch the screen with nothing relevant on it. 

"Why did you bring us here?" I ask, interrupting his trance.

"Sorry, did I interrupt your date?" He questions rudely. I don't respond. "What about you Odair? Did I interrupt anything?" He copies my response. "Well if there's no problem lets try to watch a broadcasting of the districts."

"You two should've never been doing that in the first place anyways," he mumbles under his breath later.

We find out the poorer districts are rebelling, while the more well-off ones are still siding with the Capitol. Haymitch asks everyone to leave the room after the broadcasting.

We stand there no one saying anything until Haymitch begins with his usual, "Sweetheart, y-"

I cut him off. "I didn't do anything. I didn't do what you think I did. Or not in that matter anyways." My reply silences the room again. "Peeta's still the one I have nightmares about, its just that sometimes with Finnick," I trail off not knowing how to explain.

"I know what you mean," Haymitch sighs, "we all have our different ways of dealing with grief."

We sit there in a silence once again. "Finnick can actually be somewhat good for the both of you. You just need to give it time though Katniss. Everything is still raw and wounded and you can't just move on like that. The reality is, you two still don't know anything about each other."

"I know, I know," I sigh.

He kisses my forehead and says, "Do what you have to do Katniss, but give it time also."