Chapter 24

Finnick POV

Haymitch stops me in the hallway when I try to follow her. "She's going outside to take a breather. I suggest you talk to her and clear everything, including what happened right now. I haven't told her yet, but I will soon if you don't." And with that he walks away.

I look in Plutarch's room and the control room until I end up at the doors and there's Katniss holding out some weapons to me. She doesn't look me in the eyes when she says, "Just in case anything happens."

Katniss POV

"Why'd you follow me?" I ask him once I finally decide to stop ignoring him.

"I think we both need to take a breather and talk," he replies cautiously. I don't look at him or stop walking when he replies. "Katniss," he says grabbing my arm and pulling me towards him. I feel a burning inside me, but not the nice kind. 

"Look I'm sorry. I'm hoping you understand just a little. I love Annie. You know that. I love Annie, not you," he says. To my surprise, my eyes fill with disappointment I don't expect. And he catches it.

He takes a breath and lets go of my arm. He steps back and studies me, before he becomes frustrated. "I don't get you. One minute you don't want me to feel or do anything, but the next you want me to."

"I don't know," I whisper. I don't know what I want anymore. 

"How can you not know? It's your feelings," he says, exasperated. 

"Look," I face up at him, "I think I love you, but I don't know for sure. I wonder if I love you because I do or if its because you're the only person I have left. And other times I wonder, no neither of us love each other because we'll both always love Annie and Peeta, but then I think they're gone now and both of us are here, right now. So, no, I don't know!"

He doesn't say anything so I continue. "And then it hurts seeing you love Annie, because I can't help but think, why can't you love me like that?"

"You don't think I feel the same way when I see the way you love Peeta? You're not the only one hurting Katniss! You have to wake and realize that you're not the only one with pain!"

"I'll wake up," I say, "as long as you answer my question. You either love me or you don't, so which is it?"