Chapter 15

Katniss POV

A few silent tears stream down his face before I say, "Let's walk around before heading back to the hovercraft, yeah?"

He doesn't give me a direct answer, but him getting up and motioning me to follow was enough. We head out the same way we swam in.

"Let's go to the tree we ran for," he says, "but this time lets try not to fall," he adds. He chuckles as if trying to erase the moment of his tears earlier.

Heading towards the tree, I sense a familiarity about it. I've seen this tree before, something in me knows it. "Let's climb up," I say without any explanation leaving Finnick with a confused look.

He doesn't argue, but follows my lead as I strap my bow and arrows in and try to reach for the lowest branch. My efforts fail and I resort to the smirking Finnick waiting by my side.

He gets his hands ready for me to step in and get a boost. "3-2-1," he counts down before lifting me up.

"Scoot over, I'm going to jump up." I move away from the trunk so he can get some support from it. When he settles himself down her looks to me and says, "So what now?"

"Climb," I command. I stand up to reach for the next branch and when I look down I find Finnick with a little smirk.

"My eyes are up here Odair," I say sharply. 

He chuckles before saying, "Sorry, sorry."

I get ready to climb up again when I stop and look towards him and say, "You go first."

"I mean if you wanted to see a bit of this," he motions to his body, "you could've just asked," he teases.

I roll my eyes and say, "You're really going act like this? Game on then," I say sarcastically.

"Alright, alright. Let's just say I'm going to win though," he says reflecting my sarcastic manner.

He twirls my hair to tease a bit more and when I smirk at him for sarcastic reasons, he pushes me against the trunk. "Don't try playing my game. Try sticking to your own," he smirks.

"Sorry, I didn't know it was this kind of game. Either way I'd still win," I narrow my eyes at him.

And suddenly the moment comes when the joke is no longer a joke anymore.

"No, not that kind of game. Or not yet anyways. Not until I make it that kind of game," he bites his lip in amusement.

"I'd like to see you try," I chuckle humorlessly.

"Challenging me?" He asks surprise.

"Isn't that what we've been doing?" I copy his famous smirk.