II - Perfect Strangers

Maybe we were perfect strangers. Maybe it's not forever. Maybe we don't need no reason why.

So, I was left by Chris. That prat.

I spent the whole afternoon finishing every paperwork I could finish. I wanted to distract myself from any emotion or thought that could trigger my self-pity again. This is not healthy. Sometimes, I feel like it's better if I just shut down all the heart that's left in me.

To make things worse, Mum phoned me to inform that Dad and her are coming over by the weekend. She was ecstatic, mind you, to meet my boyfriend. She's my ex now, Mum. Tough luck, eh?

How would I explain to her that relationships aren't for me anymore? And that she's going to be so disappointed once more?

The last time I told her I was heartbroken she told me she'd pull me out of uni faster than the speed of light. You see, Einstein will be so proud of her. Just joking.

I lay down in bed and sighed, staring into the purple walls of my huge dormitory. I was about to fall asleep when somebody knocked. It couldn't be Chris, it wasn't that long since he left. Who's the mystery visitor, then?

"Yeah, knock down the door, why don't you!" I yelled sarcastically. The stranger wasn't knocking at all, he was trying to break my door. Damn.

I opened the bloody door and there stood--wait, do I really have to see this guy? Of all the days! Is the universe trying to mock me in some way--

"You look like you've seen a ghost," he muttered, giving me a wry smile.

"I did," I retorted. In some way, I think he's a ghost because--oh, nevermind. "And to what do I owe the pleasure?" I asked in the most "Hermione-ish" expression.

He frowned and glowered at me from head to toe. He wasn't answering. He was just standing by the threshold and eyeing me.

"Stop doing that!" I cried out. He makes me feel embarrassed.

"What?"

I shook my head and cleared my thoughts. "If you're looking for Chris, he's not here--wait, I thought he was with you? Where's Chris?" I said, bombarding him with questions.

"I haven't seen him today, Veronica. Stop blaming me everytime Chris goes missing. I'm not his stupid babysitter," he said in a monotone.

"But he said he was with you!" I compelled him. "Stop lying to me!"

Dead. Silence. 

Goodness, that was so melodramatic of me. I shouldn't have said that!

"I--sorry--where is he, then?" I asked in embarrassment.

"No idea," he shrugged, unperturbed.

I let out an exasperated sigh. "It seems like he didn't want you to tell me. Fine. So, why are you here?"

I finally saw an expression in his face which he was lacking of, minutes ago.

"I need a place to sleep," he said nervously.

Well, that was unexpected.

"And you think I'd let you sleep here? With me? Alone?" I criticised. I raised an eyebrow and crossed my arms over my chest.

"Why not?" he shrugged, his sloppiness was back again.

"Oh, you know why, " I answered him sarcastically.

"Please, Veronica. My roommate brought a girl in our room and it's now locked for they're doing who-knows-what," he said irately. "And the fact that I have been mindlessly standing here for about five minutes and not doing anything to you should answer your question," he added, rolling his eyes at me.