XXIV - Secrets

Tell me what you want to hear something that will light those ears, sick of all the insincere... I'm gonna give all my secrets away.

"How was it?" asked Alice.

"What do you mean?"

"Your little escapade with Luke?" she asked me, giving me a knowing glance.

I nodded slowly in understanding. "Oh. That," I said, "We went to the amusement park. It was... amusing," and then I laughed.

Alice gave me a flat look. "I've had the best time, if that's what you're asking," I then told her, giggling.

She sighed and said to me, giving me a look of scrutinisation, "Are you sure you and Chris aren't twins? You're so alike."

I shrugged. "Well, we're practically siblings. Though, I forgot to warn you to run for your life before dating him," I chuckled.

"You sure did," she said, amused. "He's like a child, you know."

"Touché," I muttered, and raised my hands in mock surrender.

"I don't know if I should tell you but," she said, then paused as she assessed my mood.

"If it's anything about Chris' mood swings, then I'm really really sorry, Alice, but I can't help you," I joked and took the time to speak when she still didn't continue with what she was supposed to say.

"I saw Luke getting beat up about a month ago. It seemed pretty serious," she told me and then she slumped her shoulders. "I always witness people getting hurt, why is that?"

"Yes, he told me about the bruises," I answered her. "He told me the story about it, and somehow I feel guilty."

So I told Alice what Luke told me.

"People are so violent nowadays. They use their physique rather than their brains," said Alice, shaking her head in disappointment, and a few of her blonde strands went astray to her face. "I saw Luke pass out on the pavement. I called an ambulance immediately. I didn't visit him in the hospital because we're not close, but Chris told him it was me who found him, and he approached me as soon as he got discharged. He thanked me."

"How long was he in the hospital?" I asked her, curiousness and wariness etched in my face.

"A week and a few days, I think," she answered.

"He was that hurt?" I asked, unwilling to believe as I felt more sympathy for Luke.

"Yes," she breathed. "Maybe that's why he couldn't answer your texts. Chris told me Luke and his family spent Christmas in the hospital."

I felt grim. I felt so upset. Nobody deserved what happened to Luke.

"How about those hooligans who attacked him?" I asked, suddenly feeling enraged.

"Chris took care of it. He finally went to his parents for help, and those good-for-nothing men got what they deserved," said Alice.

"H-he didn't tell me that," I told Alice.

"Probably slipped his mind," she looked at me guiltily. "He's been pretty preoccupied the past few days."

I sighed and just said, "Perhaps."

"Everytime he gets close to opening up to me," said Alice, "it's like he realises it like it's wrong, and just entirely shuts me out. It hurts... but I like him, so I try to see past it."

I saw Alice blowing deep breaths to keep her tears from flowing down from her eyes.

"Oh, Alice..." I said in a sad tone, and then I hugged her.