XII - Just A Kiss

So baby I'm alright, oh, let's do this right... just a kiss goodnight.

"I-I d-didn't know you're bringing him," Alice said to me. "We don't get along very well. He hates me," she added sadly.

"No, no... he doesn't hate you. He's just... he's stuck in the past," I tried to explain to her. "Listen, when we get there. I'll go first and put the flowers on Kate's grave. After that, I really have to go because I have to collect my parents from the airport."

"Y-you're leaving me with him?" asked Alice in hesitation.

"Yes," I sighed, "but don't worry, I aleeady talked to him. He said he'll be nice. Let's give him a chance?"

Alice's shoulders sagged at my words but Chris really wanted this, and who knows when he'd want to do this again. I care for the two of them so I want Chris to move on, and I want him to be fair to Alice because she's done nothing wrong.

Chris drove us to the cemetery. It was such a quiet and peaceful place. Some visitors left flowers on their loved ones' tomb, others left Christmas cards. It suddenly reminded me that just a few more weeks and it's Christmas.

I was quiet the whole short ride. It took us only twenty minutes to get to the cemetery. We got held up somewhere on the way because of the traffic. Although, I should commend Alice for entertaining us on the journey to Kate's. She sang... er, like a mad person in the car. I honestly don't think she did that to break the silence. It was kind of impulsive and done innocently as she smiled at me from time to time. I almost sang with her but then I saw the look on Chris' face on the rearview mirror. I decided I should just keep quiet.

"We're here," said a pissed off Chris. "This is her tomb, isn't it?"

"Yes," I answered as I took a step towards him. "Let me go first. I have to say things to her quickly. I'm fetching Mum and Dad from the airport."

"And what about A-alice?" he asked me, doubtful.

"She'll be alright. She's with you," I said to him.

"So you're leaving her with me?" he asked again, his tone now rising.

"Will you calm down for once? It's not like I'm leaving you to Medusa!" I retorted.

He gave me an incredulous look and said, "Do you know how she makes me feel? From the first time I saw her?"

"I know..." I let out a deep breath. "You hate her because she reminds you of Kate but she saved your life! And she's her best friend!"

I was getting angry at Chris by the minute. I don't know why he's making such a huge deal out of Alice. She's a really nice person and she's really pretty. If only I hadn't known that he loves Kate, I might think that he likes--

What in the name of heavens!!!

I just realised something!

I'm so stupid not to notice it!

Chris likes Alice. I'm positively sure about it!

"Wait a minute..." I whispered to him but I turned my head for a moment to Alice who was patiently waiting by the side. I gave her a smile and I returned my attention to Chris, "Do you like Alice?"

I am mentally apologising to Alice for being so rude to her and talking to Chris this way in front of her. I just know how bad it feels when you're in a group and suddenly one or two people from your group whisper things to each other. I swear this will be for the better.