XVII - One Step At A Time

Take one step at a time, there's no need to rush...

The holidays started as fast as I hoped it would. Tomorrow, I'll be flying to Paris with Chris and Tom.

I have a really bad feeling about Chris. He's unusually quiet (well, the boy does not know how to keep quiet) and he's been acting like a living dead. I've tried to approach him but he wouldn't open up. So much for him being my best friend...

I was currently outside, walking back to my dormitory building when I spotted Luke. It was... Sigh. He was with a girl. I wasn't supposed to feel this way, but I'm... jealous? A different kind of jealous, though. Like, I wanted him to pay attention only to me and it's not because I like him. Well, I like him, but it's just that... Oh, I don't understand myself either.

He saw me and then he gave me a polite smile. I walked closer to them and said, "Hi."

The girl he was with was Macy, she's quite famous in uni because she's part of a cool band in campus.

"Hi, Ms. Morgan!" I greeted her. I couldn't call her by her first name, because it's the first time I met her properly, and calling her by her surname only would make me feel like a git.

She extended her hand for me to shake, she smiled and said, "Oh, please call me Macy!"

See? She knows she's famous.

Wait, why am I being like this? Ugh.

"Y-yeah," I replied, "I'm Ronnie."

"Nice to meet you, Ronnie," she said. "You two know each other?" she then asked, focusing her eyes from Luke's to mine.

"Yeah," Luke answered before me, "we're friends."

I noticed that he still had the bruise that Tom's punch caused. It's been a few weeks already, surely it should have healed by now? Shouldn't it? Sigh. Not to mention, he looks paler than from when I've last seen him.

"Y-yeah," I mimicked, "w-we're friends."

"Are you going somewhere?" she asked nicely.

I pointed my thumb towards the old building, shook my head, and said, "Not really. I'm actually going back to my dorm. I, er, I have an early flight tomorrow."

My eyes scanned Luke's face for a reaction. I think I saw a crease on his forehead but it was gone as soon as I saw it.

I though you like me Luke? Then why are you with another girl? I thought you said we'd talk?

I mentally threw the negative thoughts away.

"Ooh!" Macy exclaimed, then she wrapped her hands around Luke's arm. "For the holidays? Where're you headed to? If you don't mind me asking?"

I do mind, because it's none of your business.

Oh, shut up, Ronnie!

"P-paris," I answered politely.

Why in the world am I stuttering?!

"Paris?" I finally got a reaction from Luke.

"Hmm, yeah," I said nonchalantly, "Chris and Tom are coming with me. Chris will meet up with his parents in Paris and Tom's, well, Tom's Tom."