XXVII - Save Myself

Before I save someone else, I've got to save myself... and before I love someone else, I've got to love myself.

"Can you believe it?!" exclaimed Chris. "I can't believe I actually graduated!!"

"Congratulations!" said Alice, squealing with glee.

Chris then kissed her full on the lips, which made me grin awkwardly. They went on snogging for about five seconds, when I decided I've seen enough, and cleared my throat by faking a cough.

"Ahem!" I coughed loudly, for about three times, before they stopped.

"Oh, sorry about that," said Chris, and I looked from him to Alice, who was so red in the face that she hid it on Chris' chest. "Forgot you're allergic to romance, nowadays."

"Excuse me?", I emphasised. "I am not!"

"Yeah, right," said Chris, then he threw himself at me, with Alice still on his arm.

We gave each other a hug as we threw our graduation caps in the air. It was one of the best feelings in the world ever. That's if you're into school, otherwise you wouldn't care less, and it's okay. Sorry, I'm such a nerd.

"Congratulations, you guys!" I said, and embraced them both tightly.

"Children!" said Mrs. Robertson, "Finally! You'll be able to pay for yourself! Honey," she told Chris, and called Mr. Robertson thoughtfully, "shall we cut his credit cards immediately?"

Chris dropped his jaw in shock.

"Mum! You can't do that to me!"

"Bad news, Christopher, but I can," she said sweetly, but seeing Chris' expression, there was nothing sweet about it.

I let out a hearty guffaw and said, "About time, Mrs. Robertson!" then she hi-fived me.

"Speak for yourself," said Chris to me, annoyed.

"Oh," I said, "just so you know, I got hired yesterday," then I gave him a mocking wink.

"What?" he asked incredulously, "Unbelievable!"

"Come on, Chris," said Alice, "it's time you grow up," she said nicely. She still had that blush from when Chris ambushed her face.

"Grow up?!" he said, not accepting our words, "Grow up?! I'm six foot and two inches!"

"Oh, honey," said Mrs. Robertson, "that's not what Alice meant." She then let out a girlish giggle.

A couple of metres away from us, there was a lonesome person standing and watching us all exchange our greetings.

I went to him.

"You came!" I stated, and I gave him a nice hug.

"I promised, didn't I?" he said, chuckling, returning the hug.

"I missed you, Tom..." I whispered.

"In a friendly way? Or in an 'I-miss-you-Tom-let's-get-back-together way'?" he asked, amused.

"Not funny, Tom," I said as I released him. "So, when's your graduation?"

"I'm not graduating 'til next year," he replied, "I'm on a five-year programme, remember?"

"Yeah," I said, remembering. "I almost forgot."

"Hey, mate!"

"Chris!"