VII - Passenger Seat

And I've got all that I need right here in the passenger seat... Oh, and I can't keep my eyes on the road knowing that she's inches from me...

After we got out of the lift, I could swear he was smiling! But I forced myself not to look at him because... well, I don't know! I just don't want to look at him! Period.

We were quiet for a while until we got into his car. I went into the passenger seat on the left side and he strutted into the driver's seat. This git.

I tucked the seatbelt on me and took a heavy breath. It's been a long time since I got into his car, and nothing has changed since. It still smells like his strong perfume, and leather.

"Are you actually nervous?" he asked me incredulously, as he made himself comfortable.

I stiffened and turned my head away from him, staring out the window. I don't want to look at him. "That's ridiculous. Why would I be nervous?" I snorted.

He let out a chuckle. "All right. If you say so. Just relax... and you might want to take a nap. It's going to take us a while," he informed me.

"You still haven't told me where we're going. Where exactly are you taking me?" I asked, sounding a little bit alarmed. "If you dare take me to some dangerous place, I swear, you'll never see the sun again!" I warned him.

He chuckled again as he brought the engine to life. "What are you talking about, Ronnie?" he asked rhetorically, "I'm not going to let anything bad happen to you. Trust me."

Trust me...

His words rang into my head like the sound of a wailing siren. I did not utter any reply for I know that whatever's in my mind, would only ruin the mood, and I could see that he was really trying so we'll see what happens. And I'm not giving him a chance again! Like I've said before, he's only fifty-percent forgiven. I also doubt we'll ever go back to what we were before. Unlikely. I think. I'm only doing this because at least we could be friends again. Nothing more than that!

As we got out of the parking lot, he turned on the radio, James Arthur's ballad song blasting out of it, and we hit the road in no time. He then said cheerfully to me, "We're going to London."

"We're--what?! London?! But why didn't you tell me? That's really far from here!" I protested.

London... Really. And it's already what? Four in the afternoon? And I have so many things to do for I've got classes tomorrow!

"I'm fulfilling one of my promises," he said, grinning. This time, I willed myself to look at him due to my rising temper.

"And what exactly do you mean by that?" I asked in an infuriated manner.

"I told you before that I'm going to surprise you for your birthday," he explained but I still don't get it.

"What?" I asked disbelievingly, "It's only October. My birthday's not until--"

"December. I know," he interrupted me. "This is for your birthday that I missed... and ruined, last year."

I raised my eyebrows, looking at him sceptically. "I have already forgotten about that. Don't start," I humphed.