XXI - When Christmas Comes Around

What will they do now when Christmas comes around? We were so in love... 'til I messed it up.

Chaotic.

That's how I would describe this year's Christmas morning. Mum was going frantic searching for her favourite spatula in the kitchen cupboards. Different kinds of sauces were splattered on the kitchen floor because she was going ballistic. Dad, on the other hand, couldn't find the tie he specifically bought to wear for Christmas, so he was practically turning the house upside down to look for it--or the small wardrobe in the living room because that's the only place he's been searching at.

Chris and Tom had been shouting profanities at each other almost the whole day, whilst they killed each other off in a silly video game.

Mr. and Mrs. Robertson were arguing--which wasn't so unusual--over something so juvenile! Mr. Robertson has obsession for Marvel Universe toy figures, and he bought a whole bunch of them which cost about £500. He said it was the only Christmas gift he wanted to buy for himself, and when Mrs. Robertson discovered an Iron Man and Thor action figures on the floor, she searched through all the shopping bags and later found the ones which contained the toy figures. They then started having a heated row at the patio whilst on the background you could hear Chris and Tom shouting words like, "Die! You moron! Die!" and "That... was f*cking brutal!".

Meanwhile, I shut myself up in my bedroom when I realised I couldn't be of any help in the kitchen. Not because I can't cook, but because I didn't want my Mum to pour her frustration on me. I tried helping Dad in finding his tie, but he kept insisting on me that he left it just in the wardrobe at the living room, and when I tried to search for it around the house he told me it was a futile attempt because, "I swear it's just here, honey. I clearly remember putting it here. You won't find it anywhere else." So I gave up and just told him, I wanted to rest even though I was sure he didn't even hear me.

It was good that nobody had even noticed me sneak out to my bedroom.

Finally. Some peace.

It's hard when you're the only one in a place who has kept their sanity intact.

I fished for my phone in my trousers' pocket and texted my friends back in England a Merry Christmas. Alice texted me on my birthday, saying some sweet birthday wishes, and now I texted her first and wished her a very happy Christmas.

Out of all the messages I got from the people I know back home, there wasn't even one from Luke.

Okay. I do admit I miss the guy. He's still my friend, isn't he?

Oh, who was I kidding?

Tom and I have been acting like a couple who has rekindled their relationship (nearly) for the past few days, sure, but I still wasn't really sure of where we're supposed to be heading.

This is one of those days where I just stare at the ceiling thinking of heavy thoughts (a.k.a. situations in my life) and then at some point, I'm suddenly thinking about how the universe got into its state now, how people from the ancient times had lived without civilisation... damn! Perhaps those mad people downstairs are contagious.

Before I could chicken out, I sent Luke a message saying:

Hi, Luke. It's been a while, isn't it? I just wanted to greet you a Happy Christmas! Hope you're having the best of the holidays! :)

-Ronnie

And even though I spent a good two hours browsing through Facebook, there was still no reply from him. I guess he's just busy helping out his grandparents.