XXII - Let It Go

When we're becoming something else, I think it's time to walk away. Let it go, just let it be. Why don't you be you? And I'll be me... Everything that's broke, leave it to the breeze...

I had the most amazing time in Paris.

After Christmas, Tom and I kept whatever it was that was going on between us, low key. I mean, he'd still be sweet to me and all, but we became much closer by being friends again. We had our moments, and Chris was there to always ruin it, and somehow I was a bit grateful because I didn't want to commit yet again.

The Robertsons, including Chris, went back to Germany for New Year. Tom's sister, Lavender, called him and asked him to spend the New Year with their family somewhere in America so he flew there.

Meanwhile, I spent the New Year with my parents. The house got quieter, and I missed the two idiots, but the event still went great for me. My parents took me out to see the pyrotechnics, Parisian style.

At present time, I was sitting alone in one of the secluded parts of the university grounds doing some of my homework when suddenly a hand was offering me a can of Coke.

"Hi."

It was Alice. She looked different today. She braided her hair, perhaps that's why, because I have never seen her tie her hair.

I took the Coke from her and said, "Thanks!"

"You're alone," she stated. "Why is that?" she beamed.

"I'm having a moment," I joked as I took a sip of Coke. "Where's Chris?"

Oh, just recently Chris stopped being a hypocrite and started asking Alice out. I couldn't be happier. I don't know the full story of how they got together because apparently Chris wouldn't tell me--which was totally unfair because he knew everything about my love life, although, I guess that's just how men are--but they've been dating for three weeks now. Alice even met his parents, and Mrs. Robertson liked her very much whilst Mr. Robertson told her to, "guard her man because the Robertson genes are so attractive".

"He's got his exams going on," said Alice, amused at something, probably one of their private jokes but I didn't pry. It's not my place to find out what's happening with my best friend every single minute, especially now that he's dating someone, but I still do get concerned... although, mostly for Alice. I'm surprised she hasn't been running for her life yet. Just kidding.

Alice and I have chatted for a while, and I was laughing at something she said when somebody caught my eye.

It was Luke. He was walking alone, with a textbook in his hand and he seemed paler than the last time I've seen him. By the way, the last time I've seen him was when I got back from Paris. He didn't see me though, just like he didn't see me now.

"Don't you want to go and talk to him?" Alice encouraged.

I smiled bitterly. "What for? He probably hates me," I said sadly.

Alice looked at me sceptically, and I just gave her a shrug.

"What's his name again?" she asked.

"Luke Evans," I answered plainly.

I didn't expect Alice to do what she did next.

"Luke! Luke! Oi!" she called out, and I lowered my head in embarrassment. "Evans! Over here!"

"I'll see you later," said Alice quite happily, then she left me.

I felt Luke sitting beside me.

"Hi," he greeted, and I could hear the smile on his voice but I still didn't look up. I was pretending that I was focused on a certain homework problem that I was solving. "I get dizzy just by looking at your paper," he added, probably trying to start a conversation.