Diecisiete

I've been sitting here for a half hour just watching Matt skateboard.

Not the funnest thing in the world.

I sigh for the hundreth time tonight my chin in my hands with my elbows planted on my thighs. My eyes keep finding Jane and Cody, that's not helping much.

Alex appears everyonce in a while. He's even better than Matt and he looks much more natural. I follow him for a bit, watching him go across the rails and doing really intricate tricks. On the bottom of his board is a picture of Elmo and it's perfect. I laughed when I first noticed it.

Then he's facing me and our gaze meets and I wave at him. He looks confused for a second and gestures to himself. That was a mistake. He ends up flat on his butt for the first time I've seen. I can't help the laughs from coming out. Once he's back up on his feet he grabs his board and jogs over to me.

"You made me fall," He pushes my shoulder taking a seat beside me.

"Try a little thing called gravity," I point out.

He laughs at that before looking at me, "Sitting here isn't fun is it."

I shake my head, "Not really what I had in mind."

"Well what did you have in mind then?"

I sigh, "Do you see Jane and Cody?" Alex nods. "Something like that. Anything! As long as we were actually talking and hanging out. I thought he'd be different you know."

At that moment Cody trips over one of the low rails causing both of them to fall to the ground, Jane on top of Cody. They break out into laughter and have huge grins on their faces.

"Would you want to learn how to skateboard?"

"Not exactly what I meant, but it seems fun."

Alex stands up and extends a hand to me. "Wanna try?"

My eyes flick between his hand and his eyes.

Do I or do I not?

"Come on Rose. You're not chicken are you," He questions.

"I'm not chicken." I fold my arms across my chest.

"Then take my hand!" Alex exclaims as if its the simpliest thing in the world.

Behind Alex I notice Matt looking our direction an eyebrow raised.

Crap. This probably looks really strange to him. As I would have guess Matt starts jogging over towards us. "How's it going," He asks similing but I can tell its forced. Alex's hand retracts imediately and he starts scratching the back of his neck.

"Alex and I were talking. I was getting a little bored sitting here by myself."

Matt sighs seeming a bit relieved. "Rose, you could of waved me over. I would of kept you company." He leans over and kisses my cheek.

"I know. You looked like you were having so much fun and I didn't want to stop that." Lie. I wanted him to stop.

He grabs my hand, "Now that I know how about we grab a bite to eat from the concessions?" I nod. "You can come Alex, I mean if you want."

Alex shakes his head, "I'm good." His lips are pressed together and he turns away quickly skateboarding away.

"Good. Alex is my best friend in all but I'm glad we can eat just the two of us." We walk to the concessions our hands swinging between us. Matt orders a pretzel and two drinks for us. We head over to the table we started at and sit across from each other.

I take a sip of the soda he got me and get lost in thought as Matt starts rambling on about god knows what. Right now I'm really confused. I thought things would be fantastic if Matt and I started to be a thing. Don't get me wrong I'm happy, or at least I thought I was.

This is making my brain hurt.

Okay Rose, think things through for a bit.

Matt. I've liked him since forever. He's attractive, athletic, sweet, gave me his sweatshirt, holds my hand, asked me to the dance, he seems to be an open book.

Alex, the first time we've ever held an actual conversation was last week. He found out my secret and kept it a secret. Most importantly he was my first kiss.

I've gone fourteen years without a single boy now two come my way. Come on.