Chapter 1 - Sydney

Holding my breath, I count the steps. Exactly forty five. Forty Five steps to the office of my friend's boss. Alaina says he's scary and intimidating but I wouldn't know. I've only ever seen him on TV and he seems calm and collected, and so he should, he is the CEO of Everwood Business Co. 

I stand in front of his office door, his name clearly plastered on the door. Flint Everwood. Even his name reeks of intimidation. I take a deep breath watching my surroundings. I shouldn't be worried, I don't even know the guy.

Alaina had to leave the city for a special meeting with international clients and sent me here instead to hand over documents to her boss. I refused at first because I clearly have no social skills. I only have Alaina as a friend and sometimes it feels like I'm going off my mind. Though somewhere down the line, I accepted because she begged and begged, and then begged some more.

My hands sweat forcing me to wipe them on my denim jeans. Great, I'm in an office and I'm wearing jeans. What would Alaina think if she was here? She would kill me.

My hands shiver at the nervousness that travels through my whole body almost consuming me. I take a deep breath to calm my nerves only to notice that my whole body is now shivering.

The documents slip from my hand scattering all over the floor in front of Flint Everwood's office door. I bend down, grabbing for the paper messily. My heart stops when I hear a click. With a tilt of my head, I notice Mr Everwood staring down at me. His green eyes pierce into mine, almost questioning me as to why I'm here. I want to run but considering I've made it this far and already made a fool of myself, I stand up straightening the documents in my hand.

"Is everything alright?" he asks.

I blink. "Fine," I reply.

He watches me in confusion almost waiting for me to say something by the way he stares at my lips. I shake my head. "Right," I say. "The receptionist let me up."

"Clearly," he says. "Was there something I could help you with?"

He pushes his door open, and moves aside, inviting me in. I should just hand him the documents here and walk off but temptation pulls me in and I walk in. Temptation for what exactly, I don't know. I just know I need to walk in.

"Take a seat."

I take a seat as he stands by his desk, not taking a seat. It makes the situation more awkward but all I do is stare at his pen holder on his desk as I speak. "Alaina sent me in to hand you these documents you requested as she's out of town."

"Ahh," he nods. "I've been waiting for these."

I stand up ready to leave. "I should get going." Alaina was right, he's extremely good looking. Perhaps that's why he seems so intimidating.

"What's your name?" Mr Everwood asks.

I tilt my head. "Sydney."

He watches me for a second as if I'm some kind of prey and I don't like it. "Do you have a last name?"

"Yes," I reply. Doesn't everybody.

He smirks as the side of his lip rises. "Care to share it?"

My mind tells me it's a bad idea. It doesn't matter how successful or rich or good looking he is, he's a complete stranger. Alaina's mother told me never to trust strangers. Considering I lost both my parents at four in a car accident, she's the only person I trust.

I disobey my mind and reply. "Jackson. Sydney Jackson."

"Nice to meet you, Sydney Jackson. Tell your friend Alaina that I appreciate her getting these documents to me in a timely manner."

Not knowing what to say, I turn and power walk out of his office and take the stairs again. "Forty Five stairs down," I whisper to myself.