02

There was something profound about the silence which followed the gun shot

There was something profound about the silence which followed the gun shot. The street lights were filtering in through the stained glass windows, and the thudding of the room's remaining heartbeats was composing the rhythm of drums'.

The constructors of the property were accomplished artisans without a doubt, designing the glass work and verre eglomise which elegantly ornamented the ballroom, radiance pouring and hitting each corner as a result of its positioning.

In that moment, he couldn't hold her back as she kicked his crotch with all the might she could muster, and proceeded to elbow his abdomen.

He let her free.

On a Sunday morning, Evalyn was pouring herself fresh orange juice; the sudden hollow echo's of knuckles rapping against the door, caused her to stop drinking midway and tighten the belt of her kimono —a traditional, satin ensemble gifted by her ex boyfriend Wren Ju.

While their relationship was enjoyable for both of them, it lacked depth and terminated abruptly. They frequently skipped classes and met in stationary closets, which was one way for them to avoid the tiresome anthropology lectures that resulted from needing extra credit.

Evalyn blinked, returning to the present and the sound echoing. For some reason she had been sure it would be Daniel at the door, armed with his apologies and understanding —at least that was what she hoped. It had been five nights since she had left him aghast, eating his yoghurt, her father's crumpled letter in his hands.

Five nights since she'd returned to Dunkley and had been bombarded by the press and its wasp-like reporters and citizens with an explosion of questions, wanting to know why she had returned. They'd even attempted to enter her home, but they didn't have access to enter, not when security had tightened since her return around the community area.

It had now almost been a week since Evalyn had cleansed the inside of her home —from plastering over the damp and mildew with fresh coats of ivory paint and the distinct fragrance of peonies and amber — to planting vases of colourful flowers around the home to spruce it up with life.

But at the door stood someone else, who was in fact the face of a tormentor from the past — more sharper around the edges and graceful.

Her eyes were the colour of the ocean's indigo, and they were carved into her smooth face like scintillating gems. She was stunning to behold as she managed a little smile. Golden hair fell from her head, cascading down her back like a waterfall and when her lips stretched, they displayed pearly white teeth.

Natalie Monique, the Senator's daughter had aged beautifully through the last five years. Evalyn, stunned by her appearance, returned her faux smile and considered slamming the door on her face.