28

The veil dropped at last, and she wasn't prepared

"The plan is simple, so very simple!" Antonio reiterated, for what felt like the tenth time.

"Who made you boss?" Bella scowled. "I still don't know who invited you. I mean how did this turn into a group activity, are we still in college—please?"

"This is so pathetic," Natalie remarked. "All of it."

"I agree. It's dangerous, and stupid, and remarkably foolish." Daniel disapproved.

"But it'll work," Elijah insisted, "Scare tactics always work. Antonio can be rough, and that's why we need the fucker. If there's anybody I want on my team, it's him."

It was the night of the annual Christmas ball, which was taking place at the La Rouge Hotel; both Christmas Eve and day had been celebrated in the company of Evalyn's old and new friends in her home over hot food and pudding, in which they all contributed to creating a plan of forcing the truth from both the Senator and his Godson's mouth.

Natalie was against the plan initially, she didn't want to believe her father could do any harm, she tried to speak to him prior to Christmas, seeing if he would talk about Maria Monique, and her affair with his Godson's father. But he shut her down, it was apparently painful to speak of the past, so she let it slide she said.

But then Julie Hewett turned up at Evalyn's doorstep, gifting cranberry pie and her father's last contacted numbers, which had for some reason been Elton St Chapels. Naturally, Natalie's reaction was to argue, it was purely coincidental surely that a dead man had been calling Elton only a few hours prior.

Regardless, Daniel was sceptical and sunk easily into Evalyn's explanation, especially when Julie claimed Randy from the DPD had helped her. Randy was known to be troublesome, sure, but he knew what he was doing.

It was almost 9PM, the annual auction at the ball had ended a few minutes ago, and Evalyn and her friends were still seated in the vehicle, a stretched limousine, complete with mini fridge and champagne; a glass screen separated them all from Henrí.

Seated in the centre of Daniel and Elijah, Evalyn tried not to roll her eyes at the amount of squabbling all parties present were doing. She instead clutched onto her faux, fur scarf which was draped around the low, cleavage bearing neckline of her chiffon, white dress.

Everybody was dressed head to toe, fit to attend a Christmas ball that was infested with rich socialites, politicians and the wealthy.

"Elijah, where are Shadow and Spider?" Evalyn asked.

Though Elijah had been mid conversation with Natalie on the lack of manners she had towards him and people of his status, he acknowledged Evalyn's question almost immediately.