10

"Put that down

"Put that down. If that's what I think it is, no one's going to be leaving this place alive. And I assure you, nobody fears death more than me."

Voice stern, sharp as a knife, he yelled.

Hewett had been a middle-class man, who had been apparently raking in a lot of money, post retirement. At least that's what his daughter Julie had said. He hadn't been working for three years now and they'd been living comfortably.

She was sniffling at the scene of the incident, a few minutes before Evalyn had arrived, the neighbours claimed that the house had abruptly exploded and Hewett couldn't do anything about it; he didn't even notify the DPD, Julie had done that when she'd arrived, prior to getting her fathers odd voice mail.

Stunned, described Evalyn's momentary feelings. Her expression portrayed a mixture of frustration and empathy as she stood by Julie, consoling her, rubbing her back. She was a young girl, so much younger than her, and now she was all alone.

They were surrounded by the DPD, Fire Department and reporters, dull and bright colours clashed. The bright, burning orange flames, still encompassing the house, swept up against yellow, crime scene ribbons, blanketed by startled pedestrians and black, bulky vests.

It took Evalyn back to a time when she was feeling too many emotions, she couldn't process them altogether. She could only remember the atmosphere. Julie must have felt the same right now, stuck in time.

Lonely.

Confused.

Hopeless.

Death made people lose parts of themselves, the loss of loved ones especially. Evalyn couldn't remember crying, but as she watched Julie, she wondered how much it was tearing her apart and how she would cope.

Together they watched a body with burns and singes, being wheeled away into an ambulance. Julie shuddered, and gasped, sobbing uncontrollably at the sight of her father, who was unrecognisable and charred.

"I can't believe it." She kept saying. "Why did I leave him alone? Why?"

Her throat constricted, downright closed up and made her choke as more tears trickled down her paling face.

"It's not your fault." Evalyn comforted. "You need to know that."

"You're wrong, so wrong!" Julie yelled. "Fuck, he was all I had."

She dragged in a painfully long breath and folded her arms across her chest, watching as everything around her came crumbling down.

"Julie, you said your father left you a voicemail, do you mind telling me what is it he said on the voicemail?" Evalyn blurted out, clamping her hand over her mouth immediately.