Baby Birds

A|N: Omg I just want to say thank you for over 100 votes and 2k reads! You guys are the best, I love you all!😁💖

Selina

Sixteen. The girl on this boat who looked like my daughter was sixteen years old. That made me overwhelmingly distraught. But what made me want to set the boat on fire was she wasn't even the youngest. It seemed Eve had a thing for orphans, for the girls who had nowhere to turn. She reeled them in with promises of a new and better life. And it's not like she lied, these girls were living a lush life; one that they could never have dreamed of living had Eve not captured them. Expensive clothes, exquisite food, and a comfortable shelter. Why wouldn't they love it? Why would they ever do anything to jeopardize their new life? So they would do anything Eve would tell them to. They hung on to her every word.

They call her 'Mother'. Even the older ones. But it disgusts me on how intimate she gets with them, even the younger ones. I keep an eye on the girl that looks like my daughter, I felt inclined to protect her. I had asked her age from another girl passing by, so I never spoke to her; but soon enough, she caught my eyes staring and made her way over.

"Hello, Ms. Kyle." She greeted me, sitting down in the chair across from me.

"Please, call me Selina." I smiled. "And you are?"

"Mary." She grinned. "I can't tell you how excited I was when Mother told me you would be joining us." She leaned in closer. "I'm Mother's favorite, I'm always the first to know things."

My heart sunk a little at how she spoke about Eve, but I took what she said and filed it away, if she was the first to know things then she was the girl I had to be closest with. Maybe I could change her, shape her into a spy for me, without her knowing of course. "So how long have you been here, Mary?" I raised an eyebrow and looked into her bright blue eyes.

"Oh, about three years maybe." She flicked her slate black hair off of her shoulder absentmindedly. "You lose track of time on Paradise. I was glad Mother picked me up when she did."

I pursed my lips. "So the last time you saw land was three years ago?"

Her eyes widened. "Oh no! I go to the city all the time with Mother."

My eyebrows raised. "Really? What do you do?"

She bit her lip, looks like this was a subject she wasn't supposed to talk about. "Different things, I just shadow her, really."

I nodded. "Sounds exciting."

"You'll get to do it too." She said quickly.

"Excuse me?" I asked.

"You'll get to go with her one day, she just has to make sure she can trust you first." She smiled softly.

I returned the smile. "Of course."

Bruce

We didn't hold each other long enough. Not long enough to make up for ten missed years. But she had to be tired and hurt so I picked her up and walked her back to the bed where she belonged. She watched me intently I pulled the lounge chair that was against the wall closer to her bedside. I sat in it and stared at her in awe for a while before getting down to business.

"What happened to you, Michelle?" I asked the first question and the rest came rushing out. "Where's your mom? Why didn't she tell me about you? Why is there no information about you anywhere?" Her mouth opened and closed again at every new question I took a deep breath and wrapped my hand around her small pale one. "What happened to you?" I repeated slowly.

Her eyes fell downcast as she started remembering things. My thumb rubbed circles on the back of her hand to get her to open up. "A lot of stuff." She breathed, her voice was sad, yet still sweet and soft. "I was coming to find you and on the way I got kidnapped and hit by a car."