Prologue

Year: 2014

Lanae Roberts

"Mom!"

"What, girl" she hollered from outside. I raced downstairs and went towards the door. Once I opened it, I noticed that my mom and her gang were all sitting on the front porch.

"When are we goin' to the store" I asked.

    "Damn Lanae! We can't finish this game of spades real quick" one of my mom's gang members, Bean asked

"Damn Lanae! We can't finish this game of spades real quick" one of my mom's gang members, Bean asked. My mom side eyed him, "My bad Lieasha" Bean apologized.

"Mhm" my mom hummed before looking at me. "When we done wit' this game baby, we'll go to the store."

"Okay" I sighed before stepping back into the house. I've been waiting to go to the store since this morning. I needed to buy some snacks and decorations for my slumber party tomorrow.

I pulled out my iPhone 5c and read the time. It was five in the afternoon. I huffed and sat down on the couch.

You can see that I'm the only child and I'm very spoiled. I'm not a brat or anything like that because I don't get mad when things don't go my way. If anything I barely get mad. Some people say that I'm mean but, I just say that I don't tolerate bullshit.

My mom, Lieasha Roberts, is the leader of my dad's gang. Once my dad was set up and sentenced to prison, my mom took over. My mom has been taking care of me alone for ten years now.

My dad? I haven't spoke to him in ten years. I know that him and my mom still communicate, but for some reason I can't talk to him. Before all this shit happened I was so close to him. I was truly a daddy's little girl back then and to be honest, I still am. Anybody who speaks negative about him I will either beat their ass or cuss them out. I guess you can say that I'm sensitive when it comes to him.

My train of thoughts stopped once the front door opened. My crush, Omari walked in smiling at me. He came over and sat down next to me, steady smiling at me.

    "What you doin' in here by yo' self, B" he questioned while leaning back and placing his arm on my shoulders

"Just waitin' like I've been doin' all day" I said looking at him.