Chapter Six - Have You Ever?

_______________

Have you ever been in love, been in love so bad

You'll do anything to make them understand

Have you ever had someone steal your heart away

You'll give anything to make them feel the same

Have you ever searched for words to get you in their heart

But you don't know what to say and you don't know where to start -Brandy
_______________

That Night....

Omari

I sat across from Lanae in Grubs as she stared off into space. She been in her own little world for the past few minutes. Making it obvious that something was on her mind.

I pulled my phone out and took a picture of her with the flash causing her to close her eyes and smirk a little.

"What's good wit' you, ma? You aight," I questioned

"Yeah," she sighed, "I'm just thinkin' about ah lot, that's all."

"What's good? You know you can talk to me about anything, right?"

She shrugged her shoulders while avoiding eye contact with me.

"Lanae," I said in a serious tone causing her eyes to land on mine, "don't ever feel like you can't talk to me about something, aight? I'm here for you, so talk to me, ma. What's good?"

She sighed before answering my question, "Its my dad."

"What you wanna talk to him?"

"No, I mean.. I'm already talkin' to him. He calls me whenever he gets to call me."

I was shocked when she told me this because before she left Harlem she use to always complain to me about missing her dad or not speaking to him. This was all new to me.

"When y'all get in contact with each other," I asked, curiously.

"We started talkin' ah few weeks after my mom died. Once he found out about her death and realized life was too short, he wanted to be in mine. We've been talkin' on the phone ever since. I never got to visit him because we lived all the way down in Texas, but now we live in Harlem again."

I nodded my head, "I'm happy for you, Nae. No doubt. Why don't you go visit him?"

"I don't know. It's like I want to, but then again I don't."