Wallabee

After clearing the teenage premises, we slowed to a jog, and then a walk.  The sun was getting low and the sky was painted an elaborate warm colored picture.  The team was silent as we grabbed leaves and attempted to make a giant semi comfortable bed. Knowing that we were lucky enough to escape and our leader didn't make it, was the forefront of our thoughts.
We climbed into our makeshift bed. Since there weren't that many leaves, we would have to share.
"I'll take first watch," Abby volunteered. Nobody felt like arguing so we complied. Bedding down, I made myself a promise. I would protect Sector V with all I had. No harm would come to them. Especially Kuki.
🍭🍭🍭🍭🍭🍭🍭🍭🍭🍭🍭🍭🍭
The morning came way too early for all of us. Abby had kept watch all night since none of the other operatives bothered to relieve her. Weary eyed, she climbed down from the stump she was sitting on and motioned for us to follow her. I had a feeling she wasn't up for talking.
My feet grew tired. We hiked for days, sleeping during the daytime, hiking during the night. Occasionally we would stop along the way and eat some food Hoagie said was edible. Overall, we were hot, tired, and hungry. Just plain miserable.
The fifth day came and went and I was not ready to hike. But, unfortunately, tonight's expedition had to happen. We hiked for hours until suddenly a giant bang sounded and a huge missile shot out from the darkness.  Before I could react, it had created a gash in my side.  I screamed and fell; the pain was so immense. 
    "WALLY!"  Kuki ran and crouched next to me.  "Hoagie, he's bleeding!  HELP HIM!" 
    Hoagie ran over and I couldn't suppress a groan. 
    "There's not enough light."  Hoagie was trying to see my wound.  "I can't see it."
    "DO SOMETHING!"  Kuki's voice hitched, so I was pretty sure she was crying.  Hoagie ripped his shirt into wide bandages and wrapped them around my side.  I tried to stop him; any pressure hurt. 
    I could tell my attempts were feeble because Hoagie tied the wraps off pretty quickly. "It will have to do for now. I will be able to see it better in the morning."
"Will he be ok?"
"I think so. I hope so."