Abigail

Unable to support my own weight, my knees buckled and I crumpled to the burnt grass. Blood pooled from the wound in his chest, creating little red puddles. The coppery, salty smell of Nigel's blood penetrated the thick smoke in my nostrils. Burning flesh and cries of kids and teens ripped through the night.
Raising my head to the sky, I let out a cry of anguish and despair. I really was a monster. I never should have tried to lead the kids. Why didn't I help Nigel escape when I had the chance? I was a moron and Nigel would have to pay the price with his life.
Frantically, I tried to stop the bleeding, but it did no good. I was too late. Blood worked its way underneath my fingernails and around my wrists. There was nothing I could do to save him.
My mind started thinking back to all the important memories I had with Nigel. "You can't think like that! He's not dead!... But he will die and there is nothing I can do to save him." Against my will, the memories flooded my brain.
When he beat me in the arena before being awarded his Numbuh. I had no idea he was so good. Now, I know he was a better boy than all of us could ever be and braver too.
When we would go on missions and he would think of me as his right hand girl. He told me I was the most sensible and always valued my opinion.
And lastly, when we were in Nigel's quarantine while captured by the teens. When he sobbed into my shoulder and let me comfort him. I knew I he trusted me to be there for him. And I wasn't. I had made one mistake that day and I would fix it now.
Leaning over, I pressed my lips gently into his lifeless face. I just wished I had done that earlier, when he would be here to feel it.