Hoagie

Wally finally fell asleep.  He was still whimpering, but at least he wasn't awake to feel the pain.  Kuki stayed by him.  I had a feeling she wouldn't be leaving for a while.
    I stood up and stretched my legs.  Looking around, I realized Abby was nowhere in sight.  After scouring the environment, there was still no sign of her.  Where could she possibly have gone?
    To start off with, trying to look for her would be pointless.  I didn't even know what direction she went.  Secondly, she probably had a reason for leaving without telling us.  This was Numbuh 5.  She definitely knew what she was doing.  I sat on a stump and waited.
🍭🍭🍭🍭🍭🍭🍭🍭🍭🍭🍭🍭🍭
    Abby stumbled into the clearing and leaned against a tree.  She slowly slid down it.
    Hesitantly, I walked toward her.  Without making any indication of having seen or heard me, she pulled her baseball cap over her face.  In the quick glimpse I caught with a moonlight shining down I saw tears streaks staining her cheeks.  Abby NEVER cried.  EVER! Something serious must be up. 
    "Hey Abby," I whispered.  "What's going on?" 
    I heard no reply.  Waving a hand back and forth in format of her face was unrewarding as well.  Ghee, whatever it was it must have been bad.  I would ask her about it in the morning.  She would be better by then.
🍭🍭🍭🍭🍭🍭🍭🍭🍭🍭🍭🍭🍭
     I could clearly see the gash inflicted by the missile.  It was worse than I thought.  If we didn't find civilization soon, Wally was as good as dead. 
    Abby hadn't changed either.  She was still vacant.  Her eyes had dulled and she lacked her usual fire.  I guess I would have to take over as leader.
    Kuki and I made a makeshift stretcher for Wally with sticks and vines.  I put her in charge of the back half of it and keeping track of Abby.  I would carry the front half and lead the way. 
    We hiked during the day now; we made more progress that way.  Taking less eating and sleeping breaks helped too, although we got very tired.  For a while I was grateful for the rigorous army training.  It paid off in this scenario.
    I was entranced by yet another daydream and was walking without aim.  Beside me, I heard a groan from Wally. This would be one expedition, I knew that much.