Hoagie

Okay, to start off with, Abby didn't ever lead things. After almost getting Nigel killed and being the reason he was permanently bald, she had revoked her position as leader of Sector V to Nigel. She had vowed never to take the role again.
That promise was very obviously broken. 
    What were we supposed to do?  Even if we trained these kids, the teenagers outnumbered us.  They even had he power to force all the captive kids to fight against us.  We definitely were not stronger than them, we couldn't charm them... But we could outwit them.  We could have better technology and a flawless plan of attack that would make every child count.  That was how we would win. 
    Abby was already five steps ahead of me.  I just hoped she was ready to conquer her fear of leading others. 
    Jimmy looked just as bewildered as the rest of us.  "You?  You wanna
l-lead?"
    Abby lifted her chin.  "Yes."
    Jimmy just shook his head.  "Since you seem to know what you're doing, meeting adjourned."
    I hurried out of the room as fast as I could.  If they had stores of materials I could use for technology, then I would need every bit. 
    I entered the main area of our underground fortress.  Standing on the diet mound, I called out, "I need materials to build weapons that could really turn this fight around.  If you have any wood or metal, no matter how small, it would be greatly appreciated.  I am doing this for you, not stealing your stuff."
    My speaking skills could use a little work, but the message seemed to get across.  A small hoard of kids came to the soil mound holding small bits of metal and wood in their chubby little hands.  I thanked each kid as they passed, gently handling the items they handed over and creating a pile behind me. 
    I turned back around after putting a wood board in the pile when I saw the Delightful Children From Down The Lane looking at me. 
   "Why are you here?"
"We were seeking refuge just as you were." They actually looked upset. "We know what our father did to us. We want to help you fight. Then, maybe, you will help us have our own minds, and be free of each other."
This confession surprised me more than them being here. Silently, a small locket was passed to me.
"We no longer have a need for it." The children turned and walked away.
Opening the locker, I saw a picture of their father. He had viciously manipulated them, and now they wanted revenge.