Abigail

Snarling and drooling, the weredog stalked me like a tiger and its prey. Having noticed it, kids and teens scattered in all directions, sprinting to get away. The weredog's eyes ignored everyone and fell to me. I was its obvious target.
    Lunging, it threw itself on me, clawing at anything it could find. Scratches opened all over my skin and my clothes were torn in more than one place. I could feel the dog's teeth sink into my arm and I let out a scream. A gigantic fireball hurled towards the dog. Getting hit square in the face it backed off of me for about two seconds. Even though its face was on fire, it launched at me and resumed its assault. This dog was more beast than human and it was terrifying.
A glint of metal in my peripheral vision distracted me. A rifle lay in the burning grass. It looked like a beacon of hope. I tried to squirm under the weight of the dog. My hand was inches from the butt of the gun. Flopping my wrist, I fought to get closer.
Before I knew what was happening, the gigantic canine's teeth bit into my shoulder. I cried out, my vision going black at the edges. I was thrown in the direction of the gun.
Landing on my stomach, I threw my arm out and felt the cool metal. The dog was running for me again. Raising the gun with my good arm, I closed my eyes and fired.
The world seems to go in slow motion. The dog was at me again. No blood coated its body. I shot it over and over in the chest and head. Finally, it collapsed, dead.
I stood up, unsteady. Looking over my right shoulder, I felt an empty gaping hole open in my heart and knew nothing would be okay again. I had shot Nigel.