Part 20

Joe. The ghost that has supported me. Helped me. Saved my life on two occasions. And I repay him by turning into an insane monster and leaving him. He looks into my evil eyes. He looks angry with me. I don't care. I have no one on my side. No friends to lean on. No family to protect me. I lunge at Kevin, aiming at his neck but officers grab me, intercepting my attack. They do something that they do to vampires that I wish I would never feel. Blood loss. They drain your body of all the blood it holds, knocking you out, paralyzing you and if you are suffering from blood lust, badly injurs you for a few weeks. I have never felt pain like this. It feels like falling 2000 feet onto a metal spike.

I wake in a hospital bed. There are flowers surrounding me, each one with a note saying "I was wrong. Sorry. Love Joe xx." These words warm me. Sometimes Joe makes me feel like more than a mere 11 year old. Hang on,  I'm 12 now. I must be. It's been 8 months since I started at school. I was only conscious for 2. Happy birthday me.

I attempt to sit up, but my arms don't work and I can't use them. I remember. Blood loss. This is what I get. Two broken arms. I try to move my legs. They ate the same. Both broken. I feel angry with myself. Tears spill out of my scarlet eyes. Reminding me that I'm a vampire. A lowly, flawed, faulty, insane vampire. A deep growl escapes my mouth. I feel rage. A burning rage against everything and everyone. Joe, my family, school, the gang, Carlos, Kevin, the newspapers, the tv, my police, everyone. My anger builds inside me. Unable to release it I scream. A loud ehoing scream that bonces off the walls and around the ward. The people in the other beds stare at me, the marks on their necks, bandages and pitying looks tell me that the exact same things happened to them. At least some people understand.

"Mariah!" Another scream echoes round. It's a voice I thought I would never hear again but wanted to more than ever. Martin. My older brother. He had always looked out for me. I loved him. He rushes to my bed and looks into my eyes. His deep cobalt blue eyes stare into mine. A smile spreads across his face and he hugs me. He tells me everyone was waiting for me to wake up, especially Joe. Apparently everyday I slept he bought a new bunch of flowers. I count. Fourteen. Two weeks of unconsciousness. I smile on the inside yet tears spill out my eyes. Joe was always their for me and hopefully would be. I ask Martin to bring Joe in.  I need to talk to him.