Part 35

I wake up. "Thank God," I would recognise that voice anywhere. Joe. I try to sit up but I can't. Oh sugar. I remember what happened. "Did we win?" I ask sheepishly, Joe smiles and says that we did. I smile back, despite the pain. I close my eyes and sing. It was the song sing at the first meeting of the SSSS.

"Cos you and me
we make each other better
We may not be perfect
But we're perfect together.
You and me
we'll make it through whatever
We may not be perfect
But we're perfect together."

Joe joins in halfway through and gives me a hug. "I love you Mariah," he sighs, "I know you want to know so I'll tell you. I was murdered. Officers came on a raid, they chose my home. They killed my parents and  a few days later I commit suicide. By the time I was three, I had experienced more horrors than most people experience in their entire life. My parents didn't come back. They were hurried but my body was never found so I could come back." There are tears in his eyes. I hug him, though my arms both are in agony. He smiles at me and I smile back. I fall asleep in his lap. For a second, I feel him being there, before he lies his head on the pillow.

I wake to the smell of bacon. I look at my pkne screen. 6/6/16. I have been sleeping for a week. I can stand and move. I go into the bathroom. My burns have fully healed. I go downstairs and the others hug me. "We're attacking again," I say as my finish my brunch. The others nod. We check the map of conquered places. Two more cities, then we have won. The others have been attacking without me.  Well, I guess the journey is nearly other then.