Prologue

I sit on the swings at the park and gently swing myself back and forth.
I look at my phone and there are zero new texts. Nothing from dad, mom, Nick, Sarah, or any of my friends. Maybe they weren't worried about me being gone or missing. I had left school and had not gone back to the apartment like I usually do because I needed to be alone. Life felt like a living hell right now and no one else could see that. Maybe it was because I felt like my father was too caught up with his new wife (the wedding was only a month ago) or that my birth mother never called or talked to me anymore. My friends sort of just faded off and Nick..well I can't tell him much. I keep swinging and I feel my phone buzz. 'Hailee! Where are you! Why aren't you at home?' Dads text says and I don't reply. A few texts come in from Sarah and I don't care to read them. I just keep going back and forth on the swing. I shut my eyes and I lean my head on the swing chain. I feel a few tears and I wipe them. 'Breathe..' I say to myself and I cry. How did I end up here? Sitting on a swing and crying. I had found out my parents past..my dads constant fight with himself..my mom being a victim of abuse because of my dad...my parents past together...how my dad had killed with his ability and how everything was a lie...how could they not tell me a thing...I feel my phone buzz and mom is trying to call me. I let it go to voicemail and I feel more tears run down my face. How could this happen? I always thought my parents....had a good relationship...but apparently...it's all a lie. I wish I had never found that room...I wish I didn't know the truth...