Chapter 12

I had been sitting on the floor and going through the files for I think 5 hours. Not much new but I did find a few files about more abuse claims but nothing else. Dad had to have more files about their divorce but he was in his office so I couldn't sneak in. I sigh and I stare at the papers on the floor. Two more letters sent to this Luke guy and I check the address. Mom was sending it to a bar..maybe that's where this Luke guy worked or lived. Who the hell lives in a bar? Well..apparently this guy did. I grab my phone and search up the bar. Only 7 blocks from here..I could sneak out and be right back. Dad and Sarah wouldn't notice. I grab my phone and head down to the front door. "Where you off to?" Nick asks and I turn around to see him sitting on the couch with his nose in a book. "Out." I said and he said "Does Sarah or dad know?" I shake my head no and I said "They don't need to." He rolls his eyes and said "Twenty dollars and I won't tell." I sigh and said "You know I'm older and they'll believe me." He rolls his eyes again and said "Yeah..sure but I don't think Dad would be happy to know your seeing a boy without his permission." He pulls out his phone and shows a picture of me with Jon at the cafe. "Stalker much." I say and he holds out his hand waiting for the money. I frown and grab a twenty from my wallet. "Happy?" He smirks and said "Very." I roll my eyes and go to the door along with heading out. I walk down the streets and I look around along with checking my phone map. I was going the right way according to my phone and I keep going the direction it says to go. I end up a bit away from my usual side of town but luckily there are people around so I don't feel concerned. My phone leads me to a small bar and I look at it. It is a bit beat down but it still looked nice. I look at the door and I sigh. I technically can't go in the bar..I'm under 21..shit. I stare at the door and I could just pretend I'm asking for directions. That can work. I open the door and walk inside along with taking a deep breath. There's no one inside except for the black man and he's cleaning some glasses. I clear my throat and he notices me. "Uh..I'm sorry to be a bother sir.." I say and he says "Your not bothering me." I nod and chuckled. "Uh..I was wondering where the nearest bus stop is?" He thinks and says "About 6 miles from here." I sigh and pretend to be annoyed. "Damn..hoped it was closer." He chuckles and said "There's always the subway." I shrug and said "I never take it." He nods and he takes a good look at me. "Have I seen you before? You look familiar." I shrug and said "I don't come here often.." He nods and said "Obviously. Your probably under 21." I nod and he says "You look a lot like my wife..I'm Luke by the way." I bit my lip and said "Really?" I hear footsteps and I see a little girl come downstairs. Must be mom and his kid. "Danielle." Luke looks over at her and she giggles. She must be at least 5 years old and she's adorable. I never had a little sibling..well besides Nick. "Danielle. Don't disturb your father." I hear a female voice say and I gulped. Mom comes down the stairs and she looks over at me. "Who's this?" She asks and Luke says "I never did catch your name. What is it?" Shit, Shit, Shit, Shit! I gulp again and said "Hailee." Jessica looks at me dead in the eye and she looks me up and down. She grabs me by the arm and her grip hurts. She drags me down the hall and I am into a small room. "Don't talk to my husband." She says and she grabs my face along with checking my eyes. "You don't seem to be under his control.." I was confused and I sit there. "How old are you?" Mom asks and I say "Seventeen." She nods and said "Alright.." I look down and said "Look..I just wanted information..." She rolls her eyes and said "Really? And how do I not know that your under his control?" I rose my eyebrow and said "What do you mean control?" She stares and she chuckled. "Damn son of a bitch..not even telling his own daughter." I frown and said "Don't call my dad that." She glares and said "That's what he is.." I roll my eyes and I said "Look..I'm sorry for coming..but I just wanted to ask something?" She sighs and said "Fine. Ask." I sigh and said "Recently I was going through his stuff..and I found a box of files..I've been going through them..and you wrote one about a divorce paper..that claimed he abused you. Is it true?" She rubs her face and nods. "He fucked up my life. Now. Leave." She grabs my arm and drags me outside. She sighs and said "Look kid..I can't help you..just stay away from us..maybe I can find you again." I frown and she stars to walk back inside. "Your a fucking coward!" I yell and she turns around. "I'm the coward? For running away from a rapping psychopath who was gonna kill the people I loved..I'm not a coward kid!" I glare and said "Bullshit! Dad would never rape a woman." She glares and yells "THATS HOW YOU WERE MADE! You were a child of rape! Now leave!" I was taken aback by her yelling and she storms inside along with slamming the door. I feel a couple tears run down my face and I wipe them away along with walking back the way the came. "THATS HOW YOU WERE MADE! You were a child of rape!" Moms words replay in my head and I can't forget them. I walk into the apartment building and hit the elevator to go up. I unlock the door and there stands Dad and Sarah. Arms crossed and faces pissed. I knew they found out.