Chapter 15

(Not My Artwork. Credit to The Artist on Instagram.)
I sigh to myself and I stare at myself in the mirror. It didn't suit me..and the color was ugly. I shake my head no and Sarah nods along with walking over along with helping her bridesmaids on their dresses. I go through the other dresses Sarah picked and I don't like them at all. They're too short or long or they just are not my type. She notices that I'm not happy with the choices she picked for me and she shakes her head. I know she's trying to help and make me feel better but after last night..I just don't feel myself. I sigh and go through the rest of the dresses along with grabbing a few that I found rather nice and was something that I liked. I try a couple on and they don't fit perfectly. I sigh and then see a black one that catches my eye. I walk over to it and picked it up along with going to the dressing room. I put on the dress and stare at myself in the mirror. The dress is all black and it has side sleeves. I had a pair of shoes to go with it, so I think this could be the dress for me and I know Sarah will say that I should match her bridesmaids but I could convince her to let me wear it to the wedding. "All good in there Haiz?" I hear Sarah say and I reply "Yep." I step out and Sarah stares at the dress. "I dunno Haiz..it doesn't really scream wedding dress..." I sigh and said "But I really like it. The other dresses didn't really fit or felt comfortable to be in." Sarah nods and she bit her nail along with looking at the dress. "Well. I guess you could wear it..I just hope it goes well with the rest of the dresses." I nod and said "Thanks." I take the dress off and I hang it up along with placing it with the other dresses. Sarah and her friends were planning to head to a cafe that was near by. I choose to go with them and we all walked to cafe along with ordering. "I thought you were grounded." I hear someone say and I chuckle. I turn around to see Jon and he is in a t shirt and pants. "I'm with my stepmom and her friends..getting ready for the wedding tomorrow." He nods and said "So. Why are you grounded?" I roll my eyes and said "It's a long ass story.." He chuckled and said "I have time.." I sigh and tell him about why I got grounded along with mentioning about dad hitting me. He nods and said "Well..that is harsh.." I nod and said "It's bullshit in my opinion.." He nods and I said "Don't you have work?" He shakes his head no and I nod along with staring outside with a frown on my lips. He took out a notebook and he was doing something inside it. "What are you doing?" I say and he said "Don't move. You'll make me lose focus.." I nod and stay the way I was. I didn't understand what the hell he was doing but I let him do what he does. "Here." He says as he lied the notebook on the table and it's a pretty good sketch of me. "Not bad. But my nose is not that small." I say and he laughs along with taking back his notebook. He fixes my nose and he shows me the picture. "Much better." I say and he chuckled along with looking at me. I gotta admit that I like this Jon guy..maybe just like a friend but I don't know yet. I drank the remains  of my drink and Jon is on his phone. "So..Tell me about you." I say to Jon and he raises an eyebrow. "You know..your family, hobbies, or whatever." He sets his phone down and he says "Alright. My family lives in London..my mum, my dad, my little sister, and my baby brother." I nod and he shows me a photo of his family. I smile and he resembles his father with his curly hair along with facial features. "In London, I always wanted to be a doctor..not like Doctor Who..but my dad wanted me to be in the family business but I turned it down. My mom was a dancer and still is. My dad works at the family business..so when I had collected enough money to come to America..I decided that I would become a doctor. Now I'm shadowing a doctor and hopefully will be able to work at that hospital." I nodded and said "Sounds interesting.." He nods and says "Have you ever lived out of Hells Kitchen?" I shake my head no and he nods along with thinking for a second. "So. Your dad..is he a bad guy? I mean men don't just hit women.." I rub my head and sigh. "He makes really stupid decisions....but I don't think he's a bad guy..just what happened last night was something I never thought my dad would do..he's always been caring and loving..but I just don't know why he would be keeping information from me..." Jon shrugs and said "I wouldn't know. My family is normal." I frown and he chuckled. "Hailee?" I hear Sarah call and I sigh. "Gotta go. Stepmom is calling." He nods and said "See you around. I'll text later." He winks and I wink back. "Ready to head back to the apartment?" Sarah asks and I nod along with remembering that dad will be there. Sarah and I head back to the apartment. Dad and Nick were on the couch, playing cards. Dad looks at me and we stare for a minute until Nick tells dad it's his turn. He looks away and I go upstairs along with sighing. I remember it's Sunday. Meaning one day till the wedding. I sigh and I go inside my bedroom along with putting on my headphones. I lie in my bed and I stare at the ceiling. I want to talk to dad but I don't know if he'll want to talk to me..I decide I'll talk to him after dinner.